how do i differentiate

Posted , 7 users are following.

how do i differentiate between someone who is seriously contemplating suicide or someone who is joking. As someone who has and is thinking about it a lot i cant help but feel nervous when someone brings up the topic so its difficult for me to tell if the person is joking or not.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

If it were me i wouldn't take the risk. Talk to them. Ask them, they may not be truthful but start the conversation. Convey concern.

I hope this helps. But I wouldn't risk it.

B

• Posted

Hello tiger

You can never tell and should never try.

All I can suggest is the person contact NHS on Telephone 111 and explain their fears. At this time they can be taken into a place of safety.

If time is not a concern the person can talk to the GP who will assess the situation. Both of above have the means to contact a Crisis Team who will visit the patient and discuss the persons fears.

There are also cases where patients walk into A and E and ask for a place of safety. The Police have also certain powers if someone is in distress.

Remember a person can be refered or compulsory or voluntary put on appropiate sections. The conditions are set down and need to be adeared to

• Posted

Hi,

None of us should be in a position to judge what a person may or may not do in their everyday lives but if it means saving someone then it is our duty to help in anyway we can.

As suggested above there are many authorities that can help and have more experience in the best way to handle things.

I keep.

• Posted

Anyone that speaks of suicide should not consider it a joke. That person should be talked to and listened to. If they won't talk about this then perhaps a relative or close friend will know if their acting different. Bottom line this should be checked into because about 98% of the time it's not a joke or hoax. If it is a joke that person should know if a policeofficer is told someone is speaking of suicide or a person of authority they must report it. That person can be put on suicide watch and this is in no way funny. Taking action coul also save a life.

• Posted

i started having this urge and thoughts of suicide although i know for sure i wouldnt do it but it feels like a big secret and i cant share it with anyone around me

You wrote this!! How would you feel if someone felt you were joking?

• Posted

Hi Inventive - Barbara hit it on the head. Suicide is never a joking matter. If someone is being flippant about this serious and damaging act, tell thyem it's not funny. I(f someone has mentioned a desire to suicide, talk to them. Ask them why, what support have they got or looked for, if they have prepared etc. Remind them that life is a fluid thing and the situation they find themselve in will change. As for you, have you sought help with your suicidal ideation? Remember that you are here for a purpose, and thst could be anything at any time. Imagine if one of your tasks was to be present at certain place and time in the future where you and only you were there to save someone/change a negative event/enlighten a lost soul? If you suicide you reneg on that agreement and what will those who were waiting for you do? Suicide is permanent solution for temporary problem - because life is temporary anyway. Seek help if you are suicidal - there is hope and a way forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.