HOW LONG DOES ACTUAL PHYSICAL HEALING TAKE?

Posted , 12 users are following.

How long does it take to actually knit the muscles and tendons and everything else back together again?  I know they need building up and strengthening but how long for them to be 'whole'?  Thanks.

3 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Everyone is different, but they say you can return to work after 12 weeks but it can take 9 to 12 months until your body is fully recovered. Take it easy Mumsy and don't rush it.......
    • Posted

You're right I know - I have a tendency to crack on with things but of course you can't speed up time!!  thank you for all your support x
    • Posted

You're right I know - I have a tendency to crack on with things but of course you can't speed up time!!  thank you for all your support x
  • Posted

I was told that at six weeks basic healing is in place.  But there's a lot more to do after that - continuing to regenerate tissue and as you say, build muscles/strengthen parts of your body that you probably haven't used / that had wasted when your hip was poorly.

Timescale depends on your age, your condition pre-op, and how vicious they were with you on the operating table !

• Posted

I see - well that all makes sense - ie there are variables on top of the basic 6 weeks. Good information and thank you for it x
    • Posted

I would say at 6 weeks you will feel 90% recovered.

However at 6 months you are going to realize, WOW! I'm even better.

And right about a year you are going to know that in fact you ARE just like before your hip went bad. A year later it is going to be amazing, but still 90% at 6 weeks is pretty damned amazing also.

Your mileage may vary

• Posted

This is wha tI have been told too. Especially the part of our condition pre-op. I know I have limped like this for years so I am sure there are many muscles that had a vacation and others that were overused.
  • Posted

This is major surgery, sometimes we forget that. Once you can start therapy to build up muscle and movement will begin to improve every day . Take your time it takes many months for the bone to grow enough to secure the implant. 

As far a time for healing??? Everyone is different age, bone health and how much damage was in the joint at the time of replacement has an effect with healing time.

My my first hip replacement, I was in my 40's. I was well enough to do many daily things in 6 months. But bending and lifting was a gradual strengthing issue took a year to gain back all my strength as I was very athletic.

Second hip in my late 50's took me almost 2 years to gain back my strength. 

With water therapy and exercise therapy. Still have issues with some minor things. 

I always consider the alternative with out the option of no hip replacement. I am very happy to be walking as my grandmother did not have this option. 

There is a lot of pros no cons but a little pain to cope with after a few years later is well worth having my mobility.

Wishing you a strong, healthy and successful recovery. Take it easy. One day at a time.

Kind Regards

HOPE

• Posted

Oh Thank you and I agree.  I am never going to be as Imwas Aimsuspect but at least it will be a heap better than ai have been lately.  thank heavens for science and surgeons xx
  • Posted

My surgeon won't do hip number two for six months as he says it takes that long for everything to be stable.

He said that someone insisted on having both hips done together but he refused to do it but another surgeon did. I just can't imagine how you would get around - I could barely get to the loo with one done!

• Posted

I wouldn't want two hips done at once - I know people manage alone but I don't know how!  Necessity is the mother of invention I guess.  All I know is I was very grateful for DH to be here when I came home from hospital!!!
  • Posted

Hi mumsy

it seems funny writing mummy as that is what my 31 yr old daughter has always called me! 

I am 6 weeks post op and feel I im doing really well 

I was quite fit before op as have built a new house and done lots of the work, pointing, decorating, up and down ladders and scaffolding so I was quite fit. 

I do my exercises every morning before I do anything else and then just do them throughout the day, whilst waiting for someone or at the kitchen sink. I sometimes even forget I have had an op until I move or twist, and then it reminds me with a twinge. 

I don't use a stick indoors but try to walk slowly an think about how I walk. I always take a stick out with me. I live on a farm and have no smooth ground 

i have overdone it a couple of times but then just rested the next day, and was fine

i walked round Bluewater (large indoor shopping centre) for 3 hours the other day with one stick. I was knackered and slept lots the next day but was fine. 

I am going to drive my car tomorrow (6weeks to the day!) to get my hair cut, it's in bad need of a trim. 

As for how long it takes I feel all the answers are relevant. We have to listen to our own bodies and be sensible

i don't think I will feel back to 'normal' for a good few months yet, but feel I improve every day. When I look back to 2 weeks I can't believe the improvement. This forum got me through the first two weeks, it's been a real comfort. 

So, good luck, I'm sure yore doing great

Be kind to yourself and don't forget to sleep!! 

Night night. Carol 😄 Xx

• Posted

Thanks - all this makes sense - early days but at least so far I am going in the right direction.  The point about this forum is that you feel so included - Youmare not isolated with your worries - 
  • Posted

It depends on the approach too. If you had an anterior or posterior there is no cutting of muscle etc. the traditional approach ie long scar down side can take months. Even if we feel recovered and pain free I think it takes many months for the muscles to function to their best, especially because we spent many months incapacitated or at least compensating (if it was a booked procedure).

takes time .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.