How long does Prednisone stay in your system?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

When I was about 19 years old, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I am now 32 to years old. At least once a year (though more recenly), I would get flare ups in my knees. I started taking Prednisone tablets prescribed by my doctor. I am taking 4 1mg tabs a day. They last about 12 hours, then i have to take them again the next day.

I have to go for some blood tests for work, and want to know how long does it take for such a low dose of prednisone to get out of your system? And will it show up on blood tests? My boss knows about my condition, and I listed my medication on the physical exam paper, so she knows. I am just concerned. I don't want it to affect anything regarding my job. What are the odds it will show up in the blood work?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Dr Google says: The drug is excreted via urine as free and conjugated metabolites along with unchanged prednisolone. The half-life of Prednisone is 2 to 4 hours, meaning a majority of the drug and its metabolites will have been excreted within 24 hours after your final dose.

So you would just need to not take your pred the day before a blood test.  Although I have no idea why this should be a concern for you.  Prednisone after a few weeks of regular use is replacing the cortisol your body normally makes, and once your adrenal glands stop making cortisol you have to take the medication as a replacement.  This is why we have to taper off the drug so very slowly, so that you don't go into an adrenal crisis, which is life-threatening.  Prednisone is NOT like anabolic steroids which are used for muscle building.  If anything, it weakens muscles - myopathy is a known prednisone side effect.

• Posted

As prednisone is a corticosteroid and not an anabolic steroid, and is prescribed by your doctor for an inflammatory disease, there should be no problem whatsoever if it shows up in your blood tests.  You have identified your condition and prescribed treatment in writing prior to the blood tests so you have nothing to hide.  If you suffer any form of employment discrimination as a result of your medical condition or prescribed treatment your employer would be acting unlawfully.  Bottom line, you have nothing to worry about.  As Anhaga has pointed out, it is essential not to just stop prednisone suddenly, therefore I wouldnt recommend you stop taking them just because of your blood test worries.
    • Posted

Thank you guys! You have been most helpful! I made sure to list prednisone as one of my many prescription drugs that i have to take for my RA, and made sure to let the woman who hired me know I have it during the interview. On the physical exam form it asked for a list of medications, and i made sure to list prednisone. In addition, i listed my drs. And their contact in case if there was any questions about my medical history.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.