How Long should you stay on Sertraline for?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I must be one lucky a**hole because I've had no side effects from Sertraline and its got rid of most of my anxiety symptoms and the one's that haven't been eliminated don't happen as often as before. But how long should I stay on Sertraline for? I've been on it for nearly a month and I don't want my symptoms to come back just because I didn't stay on Sertraline for long enough.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Stay on them until your doctor advised you,what mg are u on? X
    • Posted

I started on 50 and now over 5 years are up to 175 mg,I'm glad your feeling better but if you come off to soon you could go back the way you was,I'd still keep taking the low dose and go speak with your doctor for advice x
  • Posted

I've been on my meds for 3 years now. Sometimes they try to ween you off them to see if it was just a faze but sometimes (like me) I'm going to always need them. Don't worry about coming off them as it's just another thing to get worked up about.

Your not alone and everyone is different and a good doctor will let you decide if it's time to try and come off. If it doesn't work then no harm no try just go back on them.

In general you should take them for 1 year before even contemplating trying to reduce!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.