How Many out there have survived 2 AAA rupture's?

Posted , 7 users are following.

I just got home after suffering my second rupture exactly 4 years and 1 day after my first. Have experienced most of the same feelings, limitations etc as others have posted. Dr's Say they are not aware of any 2 time survivors. Just curious if i have other company... Just so glad my Dr's have taken great care of me, My first rupture 4 years ago I arrived after flight for life with a 30/15 blood pressure reading everyone was amazed i was still awake and talking.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jerry,

in july 2015 i had a AAA & i had a vinyl piece inserted, i got an infection & after 3 months of antibiotics i had to have the operation done again using a vein from my leg. I have just been scanned & they say i have aquired a bulge in my new Aorta. Obviously i am very worried, they say its too dangerous to do any more open surgery so they are going to put in a stent up through the groin. I am waiting for the surgery but meanwhile i feel like a volcano ready to erupt at anytime. So the answer to your question is yes you can survive 2 ruptures & hopefully in my case 3. M

• Posted

Amazingly fortunate your middle name must be Lucky. Mine has been slowly growing from 3.0 in 2004 to 4.5 now. As I'm 85 I'm hoping to outlive it.

• Posted

Hi,

My aneurysm was founded on CT scan 6 years ago at 3.9

it's now 5.3 I expect to have planned surgery with in next 2 years

My main complication is having only one functioning kidney my surgeon wants me to wait until the aneurysm is 5.5 before he will operate

I struggle with the anxiety and fear of rupture everyday despite working full time

I'm a 59 year old female with family history of aneurysm.

does any one know if the surgeons can protect my kidney during my surgery?

Michele.

• Posted

You sound so proud that you've had two ruptures and lived to tell about it.

Don't get me wrong I'm glad you did dude but hey here's an idea, get it fixed.

I had mine repaired two years ago and never looked back.

• Posted

NO Not proud at all very grateful for very talented medical people.

Glad you have survived.

• Posted

wow I survived one ruptured AAA with a quite a few complications. Acute compartment syndrome, stroke, cardiac arrest twice, heart attack twice, complete kidney / liver failure all within the space of a week. All of that while they did their 13-14 operations / procedures. Most of them were to save my legs. Thankfully I was in a coma during it all and stayed in one for the next 3 weeks after. Then spent a further 5 months in hospital. l have my legs. I'm on crutches permanently but grateful to get away with them. Long story short living the new normal but the one ruptured AAA was traumatic and something I wish not to relive.

Had to have a type A dissection 2 years later. I felt real feverish and checked into hospital. Remember checking in and passing out on the hospital bed straight away. Then waking up 8 days later. Induced coma felt completely different this time round. Felt like a prisoner in my body aware of everything happening but couldn't move or speak at all to nurses, consultants or visitors. After the AAA ruptured my memory just shut down. Don't remember much but I do remember speaking to my mum who passed away 7 years earlier.

So it's been a crazy 5 years since it happen. Consider myself lucky to have lived a pretty active life without drinking or smoking cause it at least gave me a chance to survive.

Hope this helps. Always inspiring hearing others experiences

• Posted

hi not me but hubby did Dec 2018 then mediastinitis for 3 mths .

Now in again 6 wks infection .

but he will get through .

not many survive .and not many people to talk to either

• Posted

Hi my hubby had type a aortic dissection Dec 18.hadc8 1hr emergency op.saved his life but yes walked to ambulance after jaw pain and chest pain .

no was ok

after 1 am at home went in again for 3 mths for mediastinitis

home 6 mths now in again for an infection.

not easy for him .I wish you well

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.