how to deal with depersonalisation?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering for weeks from it.. I dot know what to do anymore. I'm so scared to leave the damn house to do anything about it.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

sometimes you have to push your boundaries and just go for it and go out the house to be normal like the rest even though your day may end differently.  Try it and be brave if it goes wrong.
  • Posted

Hello, I'm also experiencing some DP/DR, and I know how scary it can be and was also at a point where I felt I couldn't leave the house. I've read a lot of posts and watched a few YouTube videos on it and most people that have had it said they got better by carrying on their life as normal and the symptoms gradually faded. Although I know this is a lot easier said than done because how can you carry on as normal when you feel so strange and too scared to leave the house. Maybe you could try to find some sort of distraction you can do inside the house to begin with (for me I've been reading, painting and attempting origami by watching YouTube videos) - although I find distraction only partly distracts me, the DP/DR is still there too but at least I'm not solely focused on it (I'm hoping in time that by doing these things I will have times of forgetting the DP/DR). Then if you feel up to it maybe try going for a short walk (even if just a few meters outside your door to begin with) then going a little further each day, but expect to feel strange - don't think that by going out once it will cure it, but each time you do it it sends a message to your brain that it's safe to do this and eventually it will feel a bit easier. Do you have friends that could come to your house, it may help spending time with them.

I'd also recommend visiting the forum of a website called 'no more panic' there is a section for DP/DR and other people who are going through this post on there, so it helps to feel less alone (however I don't recommend the website dpself help, I found there to be a lot if negativity on there and it made me feel worse - unless you stick solely to the recovery stories section). I hope this helps x

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed product/company names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Do you have a therapist or a counsellor or someone who is trained to help?
    • Posted

Nope. I don't even feel like going to my doctor. Just want a way to cope or at least subside some of the symptom before going anywhere
    • Posted

you know that therapy can help a lot with that, right?
    • Posted

Im agoraphobic to make matters worse. I'm in a vicious circle 😐
    • Posted

so what are you ging to do about it?

are you going to get professional help?

• Posted

Heya, just to let you know I wrote you quite a long reply but it's in moderation for some reason, hopefully it will show soon. Just want you to know that I'm also experiencing DP/DR and i find it so hard. I did go through a stage of not leaving the house much but I've managed to go out a bit recently, but everything still feels very strange to me. I recommend going on 'no more panic' f0rum, there is a section for DP/DR where others who are also experiencing it post, it might help you feel less alone in this. How does your DP manifest itself?
    • Posted

How does it manifest itself? I don't know what you mean, I just know I'll be chilling out trying to keep myself distracted and I will just transition into dream like state it's horrible
  • Posted

I had DP for two years or more. Severe too so I'm very passionate about this horrible symptom of anxiety. That's all it is. Mine went away slowly over time. Just distract yourself as much as possible and don't think about it.

This takes time to go but it will go away. Nothing lasts forever.

YouTube videos are very helpful on this but essentially they tell you the same.

Forget about it and it'll go.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Harry, it does help reading that someone has experienced this for a couple of years and recovered. Did you feel when you had it that it would never go away?

I don't understand though how you can just not think of it and forget it. Surely when you had it severely you couldn't just forget it?

I distract myself but still it's there in my mind and if I go out somewhere I feel like everything is strange and unreal and feel in a different world to everyone else, in this case it's not possible to just not think of it

• Posted

Yea that's what I've been doing. Sort of helps but I don't want to jynx it. Thanks for your advice man, really appreciate it.
    • Posted

I agree with you. Even when I'm fully distracted I bring it back by asking myself in my head, "wait has it gone? Am I back to normal?" Then it comes right back and I'm finding it hard to just stop thinking about it. One of the worst feelings anyone can have.
    • Posted

Yes that's what I do too! And I agree it is one of the worst feelings you can have and what also makes it even harder is that most people you speak to can't relate to it
    • Posted

Yea I have no one except aunt who has ever had to deal with this stuff but I can't talk to her because she lives a bit far away and she's pretty old and fragile so I don't want to bother her with my problems. I've never met anyone in life who has iit the same as me. Only people with the minor symptoms like rapid heart beats and feeling sick. I could deal with anxiety if it was just that but no one I've met has dp or anything like it sad hard to relate to anyone. I'll deffo be on my own if the Internet ever fails me
    • Posted

Can you discuss it with your parents?

Yeah I know what you mean, I can deal with the physical anxiety symptoms much easier than the DP/DR. I see posts where people are upset that they have the physical anxiety symptoms and while I don't mean to belittle what their going through, I think to myself that they are lucky they don't have DP/DR to deal with!!

• Posted

Na they don't listen very well, just fed up of me I think. They ain't all that interested or supportive. Yea I think by far people with DP/DR have it as bad as it gets. Because you begin to doubt your own existence. I really hope some neuroscience doctor has a breakthrough at some point and finds a difinitive cure just for DP/DR and I'll be able to deal with anything anxiety or panic attacks throw at me. But until that day I'm mentally disabled. Just ordered some passionflower tablets. Going to give them a try see if they help. Tried citalopram but I felt like I had cancer on them. Jusy wanted to lay in bed all day and die. That's just me though. Others have had better experiences.
    • Posted

That's a shame they have that attitude, not helpful at all!

Yes it's horrible and really scary that it makes you doubt your own existence, sometimes I feel like maybe I'm dead and my spirit just hasn't accepted it. It's so awful. Yes that will be great if they can find something to cure it, I feel like maybe it's not taken that seriously by medical professionals because it's seen as not being harmful, and unless they've had it themselves they don't realise how horrendous it is.

I've not tried citalopram but am on escitalopram which is similar. Hope the passionflower tablets help you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.