How to find out if I need to be tested more?

Posted , 3 users are following.

So this is a bit long winded, but I don't really know where else to go. Please bear with me, and if you have any thoughts, or have gone through what, I am in need of advice.

I approached my GP a few months back because I wasn't getting my period. At the time it had been about two years without one. At the most I spotted for maybe 5 minutes and it was a really dark brown, and even that was three to six months apart. He suggested testing me for PCOS, and my blood work came back showing that my testosterone levels were in fact a bit higher and estrogen lower than what they should be. Instead of continuing with any further tests, he suddenly decided that I just need to loose weight. I average approximately 174 lbs, and have been doing everything I can to loose, but it won't go down. I was on Sprintec for about three-ish years, and have been off of it for two. I don't like to be the person to look at a list of symptoms and just decide that is what it is, but my doctor even told me I have been having almost every symptom of it even before I knew what it was. I had never heard of it before that visit. I don't know if I need to just ignore it, push him to do more tests, or just get a second opinion from a different doctor. I'm running on two and a half years, with only one real period, and that lasted a day. I still get cramps, bloating, and everything else, but no bleeding. I just want to know what is going on with my body. For added clerification purposes, I am 100% not pregnant, as I am a long-term lesbian, but I'd still like to know if having kids is something I will be able to consider in the future, or if there is a chance that I may be infertile. I just know that my lining sitting in my body this long, something more than just being hefty has got to be going on.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I personally think you should get a second opinion from a doctor who specializes in pcos more than your GP.  I went to my obgyn initially and then researched pcos clinics in my area. I saw an endocrinologist, dermatologist, dietician, and even a psychiatrist all in one visit. Since pcos affects so many areas of the body it’s important to approach it and fight it from many different angles. I was also told that I need to lose weight. But I am more overweight than you seem to be describing you are. I do believe that there is a link between weight and pcos (as well as diet), since a lot of woman have been able to manage their symptoms after losing weight (which is my ultimate goal). But that’s not all there is to it. Part of the problem is that the cause(s) of pcos is still unknown.  So I say go get a second opinion. Also, to help ease your worries about infertility, I have been told that many woman with pcos have been able to successfully conceive and give birth. While it may be harder, it is not necessarily impossible. 
    • Posted

Thanks, that does help to ease some of my concerns. I have done everything from eating whole, fresh, healthy foods and rigorous exercise, and after all of that in about 6 months I only lost 8 pounds and then it came back and flatlined. It seems like everything I try, I'm not losing.

• Posted

Hello ??

This is pretty much exactly what they did to me (at the age of 15 may I add). I suggest that you ask to be referred for an ultrasound which will most likely prove whether you have it or not. If they tell you that there’s “no point” then bang in the table and kick your legs and keep demanding it until you get one.

Assuming that you do have PcOS, I’ll move on to the weight loss part. When you have PcOS, your body processes sugar and gluten in a similar way to that of a diabetic person’s. Rather than turning sugar into glucose and using it as energy, it changes the majority of it into fat and stores it. (This is all sugar types by the way) Due to this, no matter how much you “diet” or exercise, your weight probably won’t go down. I didn’t know any of this until I talked to a woman who owned a health food shop, whose daughter happened to have PcOS too.

She recommended switching to a low GI ‘diet’. This is not a normal week-long diet. This is a complete lifestyle change. I went through the same struggles but literally a week into eating low GI foods, I already saw and felt a difference.

Search around on the internet for low GI foods but avoid websites that advertise any ‘diets’ since they’re made for people who don’t suffer from PcOS.

I hope this helps!

Alex 💛

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.