How to give up opieates with very little withdrawal syndrome

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all, firstly please don't attempt this on your own please involve your GP this method seems to work for all opieates, (for the search engines heroin, oxycontin, morphine, dyhidrocodine or codeine) I've been dependent on dyhidrocodine and oxycontin off and on (but mostly on smile for 10 years. I have given them up twice before, first time totally cold turkey which was absolute hell but my Dr put me on pregabalin (pregabalin has been tested up to 8000mg in a single dose without any damage to the tester, but bet he was off his nut lol. It will make you feel a bit drunk so I would recommend not going to work, NOT DRIVING, and stay in bed for the 5 days or so this will take) for another reason and I found it releleaved the snake bones, itchy joints and the jerks (from here on called the heeby geebies) . Your going to need fairly high doses well well beyond what NICE (UK) recommend, I've read that some clinics in the US use it(they say 1200mg but that I'll blow you away) . I found 900mg every three hours is about what you are going to need, but your milage will vary as I am 160kg (22 stone) and you may get away with less, best bet would be wait for the heeby geebies to start and take one (300mg) if that doesn't help after 20mins take another etc..this will find your needed dosage. The heeby geebies for me return after 3 hours at which point I take another dose. I would recommend not pre-empting the onset of the heeby geebies as towards the end they seem to become less frequent and severe.

Pregabalin is expensive, its about £250 a box of 56 on a private prescription and may not quite be enough I was lucky living in the UK and having a awesome and very understanding GP (General Doctor) who prescribed what I needed under the UKs NHS... Your milage may vary.. I truly hope this helps some folks. Best of luck, its still not easy but the flu like symptoms are a lot easier to deal (and much reduced on pregabalin, just got a stuffy nose and aches and pains this time) with than the heeby geebies you get at the start, I was flipping between the oxy and the DHC 100mg of oxygen a day and 120mg of DHC (to stop the withdrawal from the DHC being) g a tri acting opiate or 400mg/day of DHC that way I got far better pain relief as my tolerence would drop for the oxy (a single acting opieate) a while taking the DHC and vise versa I am told that due to the poor quality of street drugs I was doing about a 10 bag a day.. )

Anyhow I wish you all the very best breaking your dependence/addiction. Please post a comment if you have success with this procedure or have any questions.

Best of luck

Jay

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

hi! does gabapentin work well also? I'm prescribed gabapentin for nerve damage so hoping it'll help!

• Posted

Pregabalin also worked for me 300 mg x 2 a day, hardly felt any WD's...

...But, I then got addicted to Pregabalin and was on it for 2 years (as well as going back on the opiates). I also used to abuse my Daily does as you get used to it like Opiates.

I then tapered off 50mg a week from the Pregablin and it took months, the WD's were hell (just as bad as Opiates but with a different kick in it).

I havent had had pregabalin for 2 months now, so so glad its gone. I am also WD'ing from Opiates at this exact moment as my family and wife have had enough of me. Its pure hell. My Doctor refuse to prescribe any more Opiates to me and all the pharmacys around me have banned me from buying Co-codamol and Nurofen plus. My GP wont even do me a slow taper and wife wouldnt let me bring any more Opiates in the house anyway.

So this morning (day 3) I broke down in a right mess, did some investigation about any type of medication I can get that is not Addicitve/Dependant. The only thing that came up was Clonidine so I asked my wife and rang the Doctor, I needed help I was desperate. The Doctor said he would need to consult someone as its non normally prescibed by a GP for WD's. So he went off and rang me back 10 mins later and said yes we will do it for 2 weeks only. My wife isnt too happy but even she doesn't like to see me suffer (so she does have a heart after all) so I went to pick the Clonidine up and took my first dose at lunchtime. I do feel a slight relief but not all symptoms have gone, the Doc said it might not kick in properly until my second dose tonight. So I'm hoping the second dose will work and I get some sleep tonight as the best thing for Opiate detox is sleep.

Personally I wouldnt recommend Pregabalin as its a very dependent drug and if like me you get addicted easy then you may be digging yet another hole to fall into

But each to their own I suppose!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.