How to go to sleep naturally advice please.

Posted , 7 users are following.

For 2 months now I have been taking 3.5mg Zopiclone to get to sleep and now I would like to come off these tablets and  go to sleep naturally.

Any advice can you give to enable that to happen.

Normally without medication I can doze watching the 10pm news then when I go to bed nothing, I just cannot drop off, which after a week or so I then go into being anxious mode and it ends up as a viscious circle.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I am in the same boat as you. I been told to Zopiclone as and when required, but that doesn't seem to work ...I can't bearly sleep at night but sleeping up to 3 hours in the daytime. I am off to see my GP on Tuesday and top of the agenda is sleep...Been  recommeded amaoratherapy as a possible cure..and I have bravely voluntereed to have a one of session of Hypnotheraphy (hypnosis) a week on Monday..

Do you fancy a chat one day compare notes?

John

• Posted

Thanks for the reply John.

I've not tried any of the therapies that you mention, I'm a bit wary of them actually, in the early days of my problems the GP sent me for cognitive behavioral therapy which was a total wast of time as far as I was concerned although others find it a great help. 

• Posted

Hi Roy.  like John has mentioned, there's lots of 'relaxing' techniques around.  reflexology, massage, indian head massage etc. etc are some of the complementary medicine interventions that may help as wellas hypnosis.  do have a google. however, u could hlalf  the Zopiclone and see if u can taper it out that way.
    • Posted

I have already dropped to 3.75mg which does the trick, it's the next step that I'm having a problem with.
  • Posted

Suggest you start a sleep diary ...plenty apps available and I seen there is a link to one on this page...handy when you see your Doctor 
  • Posted

No zopiclone last night, did not sleep very much but must have dozed a few times, not feeling to bad this morning, a bit  woozey.

Will see how tonight goes, but at least I broke the circle.

• Posted

Hello Roy47530,

I too suffer from the inability to get to sleep at night. I suffer from bipolar illness. Thankfully I don't suffer from severe depression any more. What I do have to deal with are bouts of mania which keep me from getting to sleep in the first place like you do. I have had to stop taking anti-depressants because they just made my mania worse to the point where I sometimes became delusional. What I do take for my sleep problem is an over the counter sleep aid called Nytol. I have had a great response from taking it. I get to sleep at a decent hour now and still get my 8 hours of required sleep. I live in Canada and the price of the Nytol is only $14 for 20 pills. You should ask your psychiatrist whether this is a recomended medication for you. Keep me informed of your progress. I may become immune to the Nytol eventually. Good luck in your quest to find the right sleep aid for your circumstanses.

Mike o/a mjmdesk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.