How to heal plantar fasciitis?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Just got over frozen shoulder and now this is going on with my heel. I put on some weight during the frozen shoulder due to not being able to exercise and slight depression. Now shoulders better and I have started dieting and walking and now my heel hurts so bad I can barely walk on it after I wake and after the walks. I do walk around barefoot a lot also. What can I do to help this and how long will it last. I did not go to doctor for frozen shoulder and don’t want to for this. Massage therapy helped so much with frozen shoulder and I am hoping there is something like that that can be done for this. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I would suggest a frozen water drinks bottle and roll your foot over back and forth. Take painkillers. Look on google for exercises. It takes time to heal. If it continues the doctor may give you cortisone injections. Hope this helps.
  • Posted

Lisa I bought both a night splint and a brace for planters fasciitis that I could ware during the day. The brace was a life saver for me. I found the night splint was hard to sleep in during the night. Plus after awhile of having it on I got a burning sensation in my toes. The night splint I bought said in the instructions not to walk on it while waring the splint. So what I did was used my crutches I have to get around when having to go to the restroom or something else. Sometimes I wore the night splint during the day. When I did that that was usually during the weekends when I was off and again moved around on crutches during the weekends to stay off of the affected foot. It help me a great deal to do it that way. I have to admit it is frustrating when having to get around on the crutches but it also make the foot be less painful. Good luck and hope my info and suggestions help you Lisa. Jason
  • Posted

There is an old saying that applies 'Use it or lose it' and if you change your routine, as you do when you change jobs , retire or rest up for any reason then the muscle's start to tighten and in the case of PF it is the calf muscle that is straining the Pf tissue which then gets inflamed where it goes around the heel.

I have to do the calf stretching exercises every morning as I can feel them tight and the angles hurt but the PF pain stays away. I also wear trainers or walking boots with gel heel pads in to cushion the heel when I walk far and a warm foot bath helps to soften the pf tissue to releave any pain after a walk.

If the problem is due to injury then rest has to come first and cushion the heel as much as possible when you have to walk.

Walking barefoot, in flip flops or sandals is a no no leave that to the young.

Icing will help with the pain and rolling the foot on a frozen bottle is good to numb the pain and stretch the tissue.

I never tried splints as it did not get that bad but they should work to keep the calf stretched at night.

• Posted

I agree use it or lose it, I have suffered with P/F myself I know how painful it is. I tried everything going. My daughter has had a really bad 18 months with this, the doctors tried cortisone, acupuncture, still didn’t work she had to wear a boot and wear night splints which she found unbearable she is having physio at the moment. We have bought her heel pads to put in her shoes socks but they helped s little. As hers was also a torn P/F It is taking longer to heal.
    • Posted

Hi Jean,

As I said any injury is only cured by resting stretching exercises and splints should be avoided until the tissue has healed which takes 3 months and warm foot baths and cushioning are the only other things you should do untill the tissue has healed. Swimming and cycling are exercises you could still do and some think swimming has cured their pf so worth a try.

• Posted

Lisa; I had PF and did the usual things, such as bought insoles, rolled the frozen bottle of water under my foot, stretching, and finally an injection in my left heel. Because it started in the left heel, I began to favor that foot bringing on pain in my right. I work twelve hour shifts in Manufacturing on concrete. When I went to get my injection my podiatrist told me "This is going to hurt". To which I replied "You do what you have to do".

The injection paled in comparison to what I had been living with and waking up to each morning. Today I am pain free and I want everyone with this affliction to be as pain free for the same costs. One day at work, as I was walking to the end of my production line (350 feet away), I turned around and took a few steps backwards. When I turned back around and began to walk forward again, my heel did not hurt as bad. That afternoon I stopped by the school track and walked the front stretch backward, trying to have my right arm and left foot both out in front at the same time, and trying to keep the distance of each step as though I were walking forward. Concentrate on how the ball of your foot strikes the ground. Stand up straight, maintain proper posture. If someone were to take video of you walking backwards and played it in reverse it should appear as though you were walking forward. A little over two years now without hurting, if I feel even a twinge of pain in my heel I simply take a few steps backward. I credit this alone with my PF relief, although I do have a pair of SOLE brand insoles in my work shoes. At around $40.00, they have crazy good arch support. So if you are still fighting PF, best of luck. I hope this helps and if it does, please share with others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.