HRT

Posted , 6 users are following.

My doctor recently put me on Duavee, a hormone replacement therapy. It seemed to have eased my flares. But I just got a letter from the pharmacy that has me scared to death. I don'tknow what to do.

Is anyone over 60 and on an HRT?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

What did the letter say?I am over 60,and have been considering HRT. I used to take identical hormones in my 50's, but stopped. Wish I had continued, maybe it would have prevented LS.

• Posted

Meant to say bio identical hormones, naturally derived.
    • Posted

Briefly, it is meant as short term only (my script is for a year) but they don't say what short term actually means. Bolded, all caps, if you experience vaginal bleeding go to the ER immediately and stop taking. High risk for uterine cancer.

• Posted

One more thing - is Duavee estrogen only?  Taking estrogen by itself can cause uterine cancer. You must also take progesterone to counteract that.
  • Posted

Hi Barbara,

I don't know what Duavee is, but I'm over 60 and have been on hormone replacement therapy (bioidentical - compounded in a pharmacy) for at least 10 years.  From what I've read, estrogen is helpful in combating LS.

• Posted

Hi Anna, Is your HRT a combination of hormones, and do you apply yours directly to the vaginal area.?Wondering about irritation from cream. When I used bio identical years ago, I was told to apply to skin on stomach area. Considering trying again.Did your gyn order for you? Thx :-)
    • Posted

It is not bio identical. I don't know how much difference that makes.

• Posted

Hi Cynthia, Yes, it is a combination: Estrogen in a cream, and progesterone in a capsule taken orally.  When I first started applying the estrogen, the cream burned my vagina so I applied it to other parts of my body. (At the time, I didn't know I had LS.) But now that I'm taking the baking soda baths and using the sodium borate, I find that I can tolerate the estrogen vaginally.  It wasn't prescribed by my gyn.  I'd gone to a naturepathic doctor because at the time they were the only ones working with bio-identical.  But I've moved and my new gyn renews my prescription for me.  We had a long talk on my last visit, and the gist of it was that estrogen plus calcium supplements was good for bones. So, it's good for LS and bones.

• Posted

What I"ve read is that Bio-identical is easier for your body to assimilate. Also, all the studies that reported an increased risk of breast cancer were done on synthetic hormones, not bio-identical.

• Posted

Yes Barbara, I am 74 and have been on HRT for 27 years! I have oestrogen only patches though because I had a hysterectomy many years ago. I believe it is the progesterone that gives a very slight risk of uterine cancer. I have been on it so long now that it's impossible to stop without getting horrendous menopausal symptoms again. I cut my patches in half which seems to work ok. But if you are worried, you could try the oestrogen pessaries or even cream if you could get it, which you can apply direct. It certainly helps with the skin tissue.

And, I may say, makes you feel a little more human again! Good luck with it all.

Annie

• Posted

I have been taking bioidnetical hormones since my 30's after diagnosis for LS.  I do feel it helps and I still take them 20 years later, still get my menses like clock work and occasionally still get flares during ovulation time. I use both estrogen and progesterone both topically

• Posted

I am post menopausal but have my uterus. So I don't know if that makes a difference

• Posted

Hi Dianne, When you say topically, do you mean in the vaginal area or on your skin?
    • Posted

I apply the estrogen in a primrose oil base direcly to the vaginal tisues and the progesterone in a cream base to my skin (like an inner thigh)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.