HS after pregnancy

Posted , 6 users are following.

I first experienced HS after having my son 4 months ago, never had any symptoms before. At 5 days old he was admitted to hospital with meningitis, then again at 2 weeks old as he had a UTI in which MRSA was found in his bladder. I developed the first lumps under my armpit sometime in between, however, i was breastfeeding & put it down to that. Last month i decided i couldnt put up with the pain anymore, they were so frequent, i was getting new ones every day & they were really getting me down so i went to my dr who diagnosed HS. She gave me antibiotics which did actually seem to work. The past week however, i have had several new lumps appear which have gradually got bigger & bigger. They look like one huge lump now, maybe twice the size of a golf ball. Im in agony. I couldnt sleep at all lastnight with the pain. Throughout the day i have noticed i can hardly lift my arm, there are red blotches going down my arm away from the site, my arm feels dead & i have pins & needles in my hand. I feel like im coming down with something too. I have a drs appointment for friday but just wondering if anyone has experienced anything like this before?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like you need to have it looked at asap sweetheart. Many years ago, before I had surgery on my underarms, I had a similar episode to this and I went to A&E and they actually had to incise and drain it for me. Like you say the pain was absolutely agonising but once it was drained the relief was instantaneous. I wouldn't wait until Friday. In my experience my GP just used to end up referring me to the hospital anyway as they couldn't do much at the surgery. I really do hope that you get some relief soon Rebecca. Take care sweetheart and keep us posted. Best of luck! 

• Posted

Hey hun that sounds bad in my experience please call 111 get yourself to a&e you will be needing surgery so make sure your nil by mouth now and you could have the surgery and be home same day okay wish you lots of luck and please let us no how you get on x

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, This sounds like my first HS attack, the pain was immense and like yours, mine started as several smaller boils, about the size you'd expect to be but centralised on a huge lump. I couldn't lift my arm, or have it down by my side, both were agony, so I feel for you I really do. It's the only time I've actually cried with pain. I went to docs, got antibiotics but they didn't work for a good 10 days. I ready up on HS and decided to try turmeric - I drank a 'shot' of turmeric hell juice twice a day, and put turmeric paste on the main area. Within 2 days, the main boils had come to a head, and after a few hot showers, directing the shower head in my armpit for about 5 mins, they finally burst. The pain relief was instantaneous. Because I couldn't lift my arm for a couple of weeks, I imagined that it was just a huge open sore in the crease because of the amount of pain (and through googling hs pics), but actually found is was just more boils. I didn't need surgery, so hopefully you won't either. I found that a mix of codeine and ibuprofen alternated every few hours helped is the pain very slightly too, so if you're still suffering, it's worth a shot. My first episode was in March, I've had 4 flare ups since, but not as bad as the first because I zap it with the turmeric as soon as it starts and it works for me. I know from reading this that it doesn't work for everyone, so it may just be trial and error. My GP is worse than hopeless, she told me that the antibiotics would act as a pain killer and wouldn't prescribe me anything for the pain - they didn't. If I'm in pain like that again, I'm going to insist she refer me to a dermatologist and suggest you do too. 

Anyway, best of luck, it should be such a magical time for you with a little one, I really feel for you. 

x

• Posted

Hi Rebecca, I have been dealing with HS for 17 years now. I never had any surgery. This is meanly because I am too scared to do it. I always have lumps under boty my armpits 24/7, 365 days a year. For me something is always active. Sometimes a couple of small ones and once in a while a big one comes up like yours that has the size of a golf ball. I don't have much tips & trics for you. I always ride them out. Here are some things that help for me. 

- i know this is a hard one, but I try to stay active. Being more active escpecialy with your arms if you have a lump in your armpit means that it will burst faster. I use 2 times 400mg Ibroprufen. And wait half an hour. Than I jut start doing stuff and hope it will burst.

- I take warm baths. this also allows the lump to burst faster.

- I wash my armpit with Badedas ( I'm from the netherlands so I'm not sure if you can get it where you are from ) but its anti bacterial shower / bathing wash.

- When the lump burtst I try to push as much out of there as I can handle. 

- If you really can't handle the pain anymore you can visit your doctor or go to the ER where they will open the lump. I only did this one time, for me personaly it really was painfull so I don't do it anymore. 

I really hope you feel better soon. I have a 7 month kid and I know it can be difficult with carrying or just do simple things like reaching or picking up your baby. 

• Posted

My HS did not start til after my hysterectomy. I had cellulitis with MRSA and it's been downhill from there.

• Posted

Is cellulitis common with HS? I've HS for 2 decades, but first cellulitis was after my second c-section. Then the smallest little things like an ant bite would cause cellulitis.

• Posted

I had HS long before pregnancy, but pregnancy made my HS soooo much worse. All the hormones, heat, ect just really fueled it. It used to just be down my bottom & goin area, but now it's down thighs (back and tender inner thigh, under breasts & arm pits. I even get them on my belly (like right now too)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.