HS and humira

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi all I'm new to this but have been suffering with hs for years now. I was just prescribed humira for this chronic condition and was wondering if any one else has been on humira for HS and if so what results I can expect? I'm pretty sure I'm going to go ahead with the treatment but can't seem to find anything telling me exactly how well it has worked for others. I'm just wondering what kind of improvement I can expect. Do the lesions go away? Does it help at all with the scaring? I assume it will prevent new lesions from occurring. Am I correct in this assumption. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi I have never heard of humira so I can't comment I'm afraid.  I hope it works well for you.  x
  • Posted

Hi, My doctor is suggesting I go on Humira as well.  We're trying one last shot at antibiotics and starting the paperwork for Humira.  I'm a little nervous about Humira since I hear the side effects are pretty rough but I'm ready to try about anything!

• Posted

Hi Bitty. I have also been offered humira but am concerned because it more or less gives you no immune system. So you have to be careful in getting a cold or any infection. On reading the side effects it's pretty scary. If you have any infection ie open wounds they won't give it you. Also can bring on cancer in some patients. I think you have to Wey up the pros and cons. I have had hs since the age of 17 I'm now almost 46. My dermatologist just keeps giving me antibiotics. I had a lump come up under my arm five months ago which just keeps filling up and coming back. I had surgery under both armpits when I was 20 to get shut of them but they keep returning. The antibiotics normally keep it at bay after having them for a month or two but on this occasion I have several lumps just appearing everywhere. I don't eat any night shades veg which people say causes a leaky gut which is said to be the cause of hs. I also only have gluten free and yeast free everything and don't eat dairy. But not having all these have not made a bit of difference. Not everyone is the same. I have my appointment with the dermatologist in January now and will decide then if humira is for me. Good luck with your decision and I hope it works for you. If it helps I use a antibacterial cream of Amazon called Emuaid it gives instant relief from the pain and will burst any outbreak with in a day it's around 30 to 40 pounds but we'll worth the money.
    • Posted

Hi Karen thanks so much for your input. I probably should have mentioned I'm in America and have seen several ppl say not to eat night shades but am not sure what that is as we do not use that term in America. Humira has very recently been fda approved ( like within the last 3 to 5 months) for use in hs here in the states. My derm did tell me about the risks associated with humira and they are quite scary. They have to carefully monitor you with blood work and in fact must have a full panel done before they will even give you the medicine. Then a nurse comes to your house and shows you exactly how to use it. I think the benefits outweigh the risk in my case and my dr. Assures me she has never had any issues with cancers her exact words were I prescribe it all the time. Not that that means much as I'm sure she gets a kick back from the pharmaceutical company for prescribing it. I guess I still have some research to do. I like talking with ppl from the UK because it's been approved for use there a lot longer than here. You guys get everything first. Lol. I'll have to look up the emuaid because I've never heard of that either. Thankfully my insurance will pay for the humira completely. I'll also have to do the conversation of pounds to usd. Again thank you so much for your input. You've given me a lot to consider. 
    • Posted

I am in America and my dermatologist was saving Humira as a last resort because of the risks. I was in the last stages of HS after 10 years. I tried other autoimmune suppressing drugs in pill form that didn't work. I had surgery, antibiotics, steroids, creams and laser hair removal. I had tried everything. Thank God, I found remission by cutting out nightshade vegetables, coconut and nuts. Those are my food triggers that I'm sensitive to. Everyone could have different food sensitivities. My cysts and inflammation started going down the DAY I cut nightshades out. I had 5 cystic tunnels that day! It is so nice to be pain free now and free from HS! I read that you don't know what nightshades are and that we're not familiar with it in the U. S. Nightshades actually go WAY back. My very elderly grandfather knew what they were and they didn't eat them when he was a child. Nightshades are potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, any kind of spice made from a pepper, eggplant and tobacco. Good luck with whatever you try!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.