HS destroyed myself confidence

Posted , 10 users are following.

i haven't visit a doctor or anything since i know there is no cure. i did my own searchs , i've been suffering from that since i was 15 and now i'm 20. at first i thought those are only ingrown hair but i was wrong , i kept waxing and shaving and i didn't care and it became worst , i got a lot of scarring , lumps, swollen lymphs and as you see in the pictures, after doing my own search and founding out that what i have is hidradenitis suppurativa i stopped using deodorant and i started using free aluminium one , i stopped waxing and i will let my armipts hair grow , i'd rather have hairy underarms than suffering from this pain.. i read that changing the diet and becoming vegan could help and i'm willing to go vegan, i want to do laser hair removal as well and i wonder if it helps? I'm soo insecure and i hate that , i feel cursed

do any of you suffer from that? how to deal with the scars?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I'm used to shave my bikini area and all i got was some ingrowns hairs and the places heals fast , lately i tried waxing down there and now i have such bad lumps and they are red and full of blood and yellow stuff and they are in my groin area , i don't know if what caused me hidradenitis suppurativa is waxing , because when i used to shave nothing happened but when i waxed i started to have the same thing in my armpits in my groin.. please do lasee hair removal help??? since it kills the main problem that cause all that which is hair

• Posted

Hi Emma, I've gotten them mostly in my underarms too since i was 18. It's hard to imagine a more inconvenient cause but the trigger is sugar. You can be ok with two teaspoons or less a day, but keep in mind almost every pre-packaged food has a little bit of sugar which will go into your limit. If you're diligent about what you eat you won't get any more bumps. Not all sugars seem to be the same either, if i drink a 20oz soda I'll have several bumps the next day and a lot of stinging, where if i drink a diet soda i might get one bump if that. Fruits too are mostly ok in small amounts, though some have much more sugar than others

• Posted

NO CURE! SAD TO SAY I FEEL YOUR PAIN IM ALMOST 33 and the pain is so terrible. Im going to have to get plastic surgery my scares are 10 times worst than yours. I know the feeling of being insecure to well. Im thinking about getting my sweat glands removed they say thats helps a lot so i guess ill give it a try. Stay strong young lady

• Posted

I have a similar problem sine i was 13. I battled with doctors telling me to put warm cloth on my lumps until finally i recently went to a dermatoligist! She really helped me, injections of cortison in active lumps and old ones with like a mass inside really helped me. I have been a brazilian waxer for years ... since the last 10 years i would say. Im 26. I started laser treatments couple of months ago and it changed my life. We have ingrown hairs , not just boils. Its difficult but going to an esthetician or a dermatologist that will remove ingrown hair in recuring boils is.. theres no words to express how good it feels after . IT heals ,finally. I had a couple in places i couldnt reach that made active boils for years and after removal they healed. You can feel the hair by "caressing" the lump or boil. Ask for it to be removed with a needle before thinking of removing a chunk of skin. I WONT lie i removed some myself since they sit on top of the skin but dont do that. So i did laser on my armpit and my inner thighs and i did one session on my vulva . I bought a laser removal machine ( TRIA SMOOTH BEAUTY) Im 90% hairless but its a neverending process. I stopped getting imgrown hair related boils but i still have H.S. Becoming vegan didnt change anything for me. I can tell you what worked thou but we are all different. I use Tretinoin 1% , I even bought Reticor Tretinion on ebay but its always better with a doctor.. I also use Fucidin cream , i had it for a ring worm but its an antibiotic and it works really good on certain boils that have staph. in there ( they smell..) you can get some tested if you want but i didnt. AND went i feel lumps deep inside or want someting to give in i use a thick coating of BENZAGEL benzoyle peroxide 5% , at first it made me get so much boils because they were already formed in deeper layers. NOW i have a bump once in awhile but i need to use my creams almost everyday. TRETINOIN is a retin A and it helps with cells turn over so i shed a lot of skin and really faded my scars . I would advise to exfoliate you groin and armpit everyday if you dont get the cream. Dermato said our pores are blocked easily. Wear cotton undies and exfoliate private parts . EXfoliate after you wax and use oil like gapeseed oil. It helps. THE ORDINARY as a lot of good products i used to put on my skin like retinol 5% in squalane and niacinamide. HELPS with lightening and cell turn over.Glycolic acid toner too .Oh and benzagel is from the pharmacy.SORRY for extra long reply but i have too much to say on HS. It takes such a toll on your mental . Good luck and get urself some laser ( Forgot to say i get some laser for acne at the dermato and it helps so much ) I will add that taking control is very pricy . ❤️

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. I'm wondering if you used a numbing agent when you laser yourself. If so, what is it?

• Posted

I’m so sorry you have to deal with this. I know the struggle all to well. I suffered for 19 years. It took me 10 years in before I got the courage to see a doctor. Although there isn’t a cure, you should seek help. But you are right, food does play a huge role. I agree whole heartedly with the person who said stop sugar. I tried everything! I thought it was dairy. Nope. I had a gut feeling three years ago that sugar was my problem. I swear to you, the moment I stopped eating sugar (I’m talking processed sugar) my HS stopped!! I’m 3 years and clear! I am the biggest advocate for HS sufferers to try eliminating sugar! Believe me! To go 29 years with horrible outbreaks to suddenly nothing you’d be promoting a sugarless diet too! It’s a worth a try? What do you have to lose? Start by eliminating all sugar then see if you can add anything in. I can eat fruits ok. But no processed sugar. So no ice cream, cookies, desserts period! If I buy a food item at the store I make sure it’s less than 8grams. I hope this helps!

• Posted

WELL I'am so glad I dropped in here for this discussion.. unfortuntely haven't been in here for awhile.. I have been dealing with HS for going on 34 years.. I did not find a doctor that knew what I was going through until around 10 years ago.. for the longest time I dealt with this all alone .. I thought I was a freak or something.. my self esteem was nonexsistant .. It practically ruined my whole life .. I felt so ashamed as distraught.. THIS communtity was a life saver and gave me hope.. I Have done lots of research.. still do.... and for me it is the sugar, it's the key compontant that triggers my outbreaks... my scars are herendous..much worse than the ones you posting....I hated even looking at them.. MY daughter also has it.. so unfortuntley it's heritary too.. I hope that we find a cure in my lifetime...that would be such a blessing......so I feel you girl ....hang in there and read , research and come here for moral support, it will help... prayers sweetie.. just remember that YOU are not ALONE!!.. Take Care..

• Posted

To you and all the others out there who are suffering from HS. Ive had HS since I was 11 years old, I'm 31 now. My mom has it, my sister has it. I suspect that some of my cousins do too, but they won't say. I want to say that the only method that worked for all of us to various degrees is by following the autoimmune protocol diet and then finding out trigger foods and avoiding them. Mine were nightshades and soy. Moms are nightshades and dairy. My sister is a work in progress, but as far as she can tell, its gluten and dairy. Out of the three of us me and mum began at the same time on the elimination, and I am most far along on the healing scale, I'm completely recessed. The hs stopped coming back two years ago, after doing elimination for a period of two years. Now, four years later, all of the raised scars in the pubic area are completely gone, not even dark spots marking the place. Armpits are a work in progress, folded skin and all, but they are slowly and surely healing. They don't flare up any more even if I eat my trigger foods now and then. Same with mom, but since she's older, her skin healing is slower but she doesn't get flare ups any more. Im now dealing with the mental and emotional issues that come with HS by seeing a psychiatrist. Slowly, my mind is also catching up to my healing body. I hope one day I will feel whole again. I still don't dare try to remove hair from the hs areas, I am scared that it will come back again. I still get angry sometimes that I can't do what i want, like wear sleeveless clothes, swimsuits, eat out too much. Im still somewhat overweight. But I'm happier, sometimes ecstatic when I think about how far I've come from the bitter, miserable life that I led before. I've more energy than before, my life is no longer confined by my illness. I hope you find your triggers, your cure. God bless you.

• Posted

hi.. im 30 years of age and i suffer from the exact same condition. As for me its alot worse ive had 4 surgerys in the last 2 years for it and since i think its gone even worse for me wounds never heal fully still up until this day im still having to dress them cant go a day without being in pain.. for me its affecting my love life even though i have a supporting partner that understands it all.. but its like my life has ended since this condition has started.. noone in my family had this apart from me. its depressing knowing ill wake up in worse pain of my life.. and yeah theres no cure but there must be something for it to stop.. pain killers dont work no more antibiotics work for a while till its out of your system the flare ups come back but worse each time round.. changing diet dont do anything.. just wish there was something to stop it all completely just so sick of it.. also its not helping me with my mental health either knowing i cant wear anything nice incase a flare up burst so stressful having to think twice before doing anything.. if im being honest its that bad where my jobs at risk for taking so much time for recovery its unbelievable.. someone needs to find a cure for god sakes tired of pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.