HSV2 Questions (Eye Infection)

Posted , 2 users are following.

Recently diagnosed and I have questions.

Recently had a full STD screen done. HSV1 negative and HSV2 posative. To make a long sstory short, my doctor and I believe i aquired HSV2 through an eye infection I had over 10 years ago, as m eye infection was giagnosed a herpes and treated with valtrex,

Since that time i've had one, maybe two subsequent eye infecions, also treated with Valtrex, To my kowledge i've never transmitted HSV2 to anyone sexually. I've never had any symptoms other than the eye infections mentioned.

How likely is it I could transmit it sexually? Since my eye infection was assumed to be HSV1 by my eye doctor, not a whole lot was done but to treat it like any other herpes eye infection. To my knowledge I've never transmitted it sexually. Past partners have been tested and have come up negative. One of them i had been with for 7 years and did have unproteccted sex with,

I currently have a new partner who im not sexually active with. That depeded on the results of my STD screen. Now there's all this cconfusion around how i coud possibly transmit it. Would it be from my eye, or could it still be transmitted sexually, even though i've never had signs/syptoms anywhere but my eye infection.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is rare to acquire HSV-2 non-genitally, and even rarer to do so without having also acquired it genitally. I would imagine that you do have it genitally, just asymptomatically. Was your eye infection ever confirmed to be Type 2 or just herpes?
    • Posted

My HSV1 results were negative, which is why she belives the eye infection was HSV2.
    • Posted

But was the eye infection ever tested and confirmed to be herpes? Not just by visual diagnosis, but by an actual lab test, I mean. Also, the HerpeSelect IgG test can supposedly miss cases of HSV-1. The only way to know for sure is to do the UoW western blot test, but that's rather pricey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.