Humira

Posted , 9 users are following.

I have brought this situation up before but it's been a while so I would like to know if you have taken Humira and if it worked for you or you had to go to something else. I've been on Humira since March. I was making progress until about 4 wks ago and all the sudden I was extremely fatigued. All day from morning til night. It was almost time for my shot so I figured that is what it was but after I took my shot all hell broke loose. Pain in both shoulders, elbows, wrists and hands. Just like I never started it. I took 50 mg pred, pain pills and celebrex but it did no good. Now it's a few days after the next shot and I am back to the fatigue. Went to the doc yesterday and he acts like he doesn't know what is causing the fatigue or why I started flaring again. Everyone acts like Humira should have done me wonders. I go back in 6 wks and if it doesn't improve he said he may swith me to embrel and add medicines to it. He doesn't know what meds to put with Humira. I just want to hear how everyone else reacted to Humira. BTW, he gave me a b12 shot and today I feel more energetic. smile

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

and forgot to add, he ordered a blood test for vitamin D and told me to start taking it daily. He seems to think it is a nutrition problem but I am very healthy besides this RA deal
  • Posted

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I have tried 3 biologics and all no response. Humira,Enbrel+ Rituximab. Then I started having spasms n memory problems and was found I then had Antiphospholipid Syndrome so have to take warfarin for life so all biologics cancelled.

Perhaps Enbrel could work for you. What other medications have been given

• Posted

I have not been on this site for a very long time.  Reason being, my doctor got me on an infusion drug, Remacade.  I was told it would take up to 3 months to work.  In 3 days I was like a new person.   I go in every 2 months for it and I'm so pleased with the results.  See if you can be put on Remacade.  Goood Luck!
    • Posted

aaaahhhhhhh, that sounds horrible! What does an infusion involve?
    • Posted

Actually not that bad at all especially since I have no swelling or pain now. You lay in a comfortable chair for 3.5 hours. They insert a needle in your arm, give you a warm blanket and you bring a book along and you're set. They first give you benedryl and an aspirin to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction. That's about 30 minutes then they start the drug. Half the time I fall asleep. It does not hurt and I don't have a bad reaction to it. They say it can work for years and when it stops working, they put you on another drug. Nothing else worked for me so I'm quite pleased with this. That's why I wanted to share it with all of you. I'm still on methotrexate, which I wish I wasn't but my doctor likes the combination. I know the excruciating pain we are in with RA so maybe this will help some of you!  The drug is Remacade. 
  • Posted

Hi River, it worked for me for 2-3 months so it was probably a placebo effect, as it started working 6 hours straight after each shot. Every week after the injection I had a 4-6 h episode of extreme fatigue. And then an energizer all over again. After few months I was in more and more pain. That's about it. Good luck - I hope it was just a temporary inflammation in your case and you will get back to feeling well soon!
    • Posted

Just want to correct something - the fatigue that I experienced didn't come right after the injection. The worst of it was ~a week later, in between of every other week. It was as if a turn off switch was activated. I was literally unable to move and just went to bed for a half day sleeping. Then I learned that this is just the way my body reacted... Every time. Even when I deliberately moved the shot time - the fatigue episode would occur in a new "moved" time a week after the injection. Right after the injection I had no fatigue at all.
  • Posted

I never took Humera. I am on a regimin with Methotrexate. Weary, exhausted and lathagic are my issues. Pain has lessened. I refuse to take an additional drug. Face it, they are experiementing on us.  I still have flare ups.  I see no way to keep  working so I am facing a dubious future.  The fatigue is bad. 
    • Posted

I HATED MTX!! Doc upped my doseage to 20 mg and I was in the "fog" everyone talks about. 
  • Posted

Hi River , I have taken the anti-TNF antibody , it had another name when I used it about 10 years ago and I had a similar situation. I am a RA patient but I also have also a biomedical background so I might be able to give you an alternative explanation to take to your doctor

But tell me does the pain disappear eventually - so after a while does Humira starts working ? You only have problems in the beggining or it seems it just stoped working all together?

And there are at least 4 more alternatives treatments - what is your disease? 

• Posted

RA, and the Humira lessened the pain quite a bit until my episode. Now it's back to everything hurting and still have the fatigue. I have a nurse ambassador with Humira and she and the Doc acted like Humira doesn't make you fatigued. It's extreme and lasts about 24 hrs then in a few days hits again. 
    • Posted

That is BS. The fatigue keeps reocurring, no matter what. They are trying to keep you on the drug or they don'tmake any money. Sad, sad, sad. They ae all in cohoots. I keep trying to be patient. The Meth is helping with the pain slowly. I worry about what comes next. The doctors want us to think that everything isin our heads. Like when I drink the correct coconut water (high in potassium and magnesium) and claim it is helping...... she says...... "no way". I say they don'tknow what works. If coconut water helps me I think itmeans I need more potassium. Also  BIG MARKER...... vitamin D. When I feel bad, it is usually that my vitamin D level is too low. Check your out. They will protest but heck, they don't know the answers either.
    • Posted

My doc suggested vitamin D being low and did a blood test and sure enough it was, so now I am on it daily
    • Posted

I even learned that low vitamin D is when RA can set in. Too bad my army of doctors did not know that or catch it.

Keep watch on vitamin D. Mine is low again and pain is worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.