Hydroxychloroquine and peeling skin

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have been advised to take hydroxychloroquine for systemic sclerosis. I was advised if I'm 'non-compliant' with medication I will be discharged (which, whilst my symptoms all improved when I previously stopped all medications for around 18 months, I still have some issues and am also worried if I am discharged and things get worse I wouldn't be able to get help - the rheumatologist told me I will never get better, things will only get worse). Alternatively, they would prescribe methotrexate again (which the urgent care centre advised I am allergic to, based on the reaction I had to it when I tried taking it around 18 months ago). Along with the sickness, headaches, burning sensation in my muscles and fatigue that seem to correlate with taking the hydroxychloroquine my skin is peeling quite badly on my feet (mostly soles, heels and up the sides) and is incredibly itchy. It also has tiny blisters and in some areas it's bleeding. Has anyone found anything that helps with the skin? I have asked my GP - who pointed out I'm under the hospital, rheumatology said dermatology need to look as it's skin, dermatology said it's for rheumatology to deal with as I have an autoimmune issue, so I haven't had much luck asking 'professionals'. The itching affects my sleep, so I'm really hoping to find something that could reduce that. I tried the antihistamine dermatology advised to take for fungal nail infection, but that doesn't seem to have helped with that, or with the itching.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.