Hydroxyzine Pam 50 mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Am almost 5weeks post op. Saw my doctor last week and discussed pain management. I am still in continuous pain, poor sleep and swelling. My doctor prescribed Hydroxyzine to be taken with the Norco. I don't feel much different , except a bit drowsy. Has anyone taken those two together. What is Hydroxyzine? All I found was that it is used for allergy symptoms. Doc also wants me to cut back on Norco and substitute ibuprofen for some of the Norco.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ellen,

This is what I found.

"There are also cases of people using Atarax for sleep enhancement. It is advisable not to take Atarax for sleep without the approval of your doctor or health provider as your doctor will be the one to determine if you should use it or not."

It looks as though your doctor has given you this drug to help you sleep.

Five weeks is still very early, you will have pain and be swollen, and bedtime is when it bothers a lot of people and stops you sleeping.

It will get better, honestly it will.

I had both my knees done, and the first few weeks are the worst, use ice, take ice packs to bed with you if need be.After 20 mins or do you can push them away, wrap in a towel to use again if you need to.

I can't take strong painkillers, and took anti inflams instead, they help to reduce the swelling.

Bear with it, it doesn't last forever, and you'll be glad you had it done.x.

• Posted

I had same problems.  I'm 22 weeks postop.  Sleep problems stayed until 9-10 weeks.  I went to Ibuprofen at 6 weeks.  It helped.  The sleep stuff slowly went away on its own.

• Posted

Hydroxyzine...first generation antihistamine (1956) for itching and anxiety.  Will make you drowsy.  Do NOT use alcohol with it...very bad interaction.  50mg of cheap generic diphenhydramine (Benadryl) might have the same effect.

5 weeks = Newbie.  You've just started the journey.  Expect the pain to last a while longer...but not much.  Hope these help...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/trouble-sleeping-post-tkr--539591

Get rid of all expectations.  This will take a while...

• Posted

Ellen,

it it is for anxiety.  Doc thinks will help you relax and sleep.  I agree at 5 weeks my sleep was still bad...maybe 2 hours or so at a time.  I ask my doctor and too over the counter Tylenol PM.  His helped me to stretch the sleep to 4 hours.

i am now 11 months...night sleep will come with time.  For now rest, nap during the day if you can.

good luck,

pam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.