Hyperbaric Oxygen Chamber as CRPS treatment

Posted , 2 users are following.

I’ve been researching Hyper Baric oxygen chamber as a treatment .

It’s VERY expensive here to do it and requires many times to do it.

Has anyone done this? Looked into it?

Had success with it?

I would love to hear people’s thoughts.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Ist question. are you claustrophobic. I was offered this as a treatment for altitude sickness in Peru, and the chamber resembled a coffin!  Needless to say I opted for shortening our vacation, rather than getting in that thing for 2 hours. However, the chamber where I did my residency could hold 4-6 patients at a time. So, you need to research that aspect. Some places still only have the one person chambers.

I did look into hyperbaric oxygen and the studies weren't that impressive. It didn't seem worth the effort for me- driving the 4 hours round trip to get to a decent sized one. I really did try everything that any reasonable study showed any kind of success with, the only exception being IV ketamine because I had no doctor nearby offering that. Hyperbaric oxygen wasn't on my to do list because the studies just weren't there. LOL now that I am about 4 months into therapy, I can honestly say that while some things have helped, like the mirror box and the spinal cord stimulator, nothing has really reversed it or stopped it's progression. I am set up now to get an intrathecal pump. At least I will have pain relief.  The leg will look ugly, all purple and swollen, but I won't feel it. Hopefully I will be able to walk more and be able to just stand more on it so I can cook without being in agony.

Lynn

• Posted

Somewhat claustrophobic, but the ones i have looked at are quite large at a facility in Toronto Ontario ( I’m close ( ish) to there)

Only problem is price. It’s around 180$ per treatment and they are suggesting daily for 8 weeks.

That’s a lot of driving and a lot of money. I am willing to do just about anything to get better, or improve, but only if it works. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.