Hypermobility and problems getting into and out of bath

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi - I have had hypermobility, particularly in my ankle joints, since I was a young child (I am now 52) and over the last year or so it has started to become a problem for me (soreness, fatigue, shortness of breath etc.)  However, I am recently started to have problems getting into and out of the bath.  I normally have showers (with a non-slip mat of course!) but I do enjoy a long hot soak occasionally!    I find with getting into the bath I am able to lower myself down so far and then drop down into the water, but getting out is a real struggle.  I can just about push myself onto my feet with my knees bent, but cannot hold this position for long enough to be able to stand up.  Had a hot bath last night but the relaxing effect was negated as it took several attempts for me to get myself out, resulting in sore wrists, ankles and knees and me being totally out of breath!  How do other JHS sufferers manage?  Or do you just not have baths and make do with showers?  I know there are handles you can get that you fix to the bathroom wall but I don't know if I have the strength in my wrists to be able to use these (and I'd be scared of pulling the tiles off the wall!).  I really feel like my body is falling apart at times!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Susie

Sorry to hear about your struggle, this condition really does strip you of the things you love (and the things you don't love so much like work/housework etc lol)

I tried with the handles that have suction plates on them, but didn't fix them right and fell when it slipped down the wall. And that was just climbing into the bath for a shower as I had to say goodbye baths pretty much as soon as I got ill, because like you I struggled to stand up and got really panicky. 

I'm 44 and have to rely on my daughters help when I shower, even now as I have a wet room, because I get so worn out and tired that it's still dangerous to shower alone.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is, if you do get the handrails get the ones you fix to the walls - if possible call your local council to see if occupational health can come and assess your needs.

Good luck, but JHS is a horrible condition to get used to and live with 

Ery x

• Posted

Hi Susie, sorry to hear you have problems doing the most natural thing that most take for granted....my daughter(21) has EDS-H/CFS,and like you has showers most of the time although once In a while has a long soak to relieve the pain,but does have to be really careful with getting in and out,and it can be very tiring to even have a bath,it can take her so long.She has a guide dog because we think the EDS has affected her sight so the dog does stay close while she's in the bath,but I do go down to check every now and then...hope you get something sorted with the safety handles..

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies.  I will look into the fixed handles.  I have been looking on the web for inflatable bath cushions and nearly fainted when I saw the price of them!!!! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.