Hyperparathyroidism and emotions

Posted , 4 users are following.

I was diagnosed with hyperparathyroidism last August by family doctor, i had to switch to another family doctor because the former didn't do anything to help me after parathyroid scan came out negative. I finally had an appointment with an endocrinologist, i had blood test she confirmed i had hyperparathyroidism. Now I'm waiting on to get another scan and she will send me to a surgeon.

I just started reading about hyperparthyroidism and my main problems are kidney stones, high blood pressure, anxiety/depression/irritability/brain fog/memory loss.

I believe my symptoms started 8-9 years ago in undergrad, because initially i had a high GPA and 4 scholarships then by the last two years of undergrad my GPA drops and i lost some scholarships, I couldn't focus anymore, i couldn't have conversations without getting lost in thought. Classmates thought I was lazy and didn't care about being at University. This whole time i thought i had adhd, i've taken adderal and concerta and still have problems focusing and staying on task.

Recently my father passed away and I didn't have any emotions, i didn't cry or feel bad that he died.

So my question to anyone who has hyperparathyroidism or had it experience a blunting effect on their emotions?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hang in there i was diagnosed 1.5 yrs ago and had one gland removed 1 yr ago i suffered with high blood pressure, anxiety and osteopenia before surgery after surgery my blood pressure dropped dramatically 2 weeks after removal of gland, allowing me to eliminate one medication and cut the other in half...my bone loss was reversed and gaining bone mass back anxiety is better

make sure you have experienced surgeon with lots of experience removing these tumors i had excellent surgeon at MASS general in BOSTON this is very important as an inexperienced surgeon could do more harm

most symptoms are completly reversable hope this helps kevin

• Posted

it sounds like you have not had a problem that created irreversable damage. surgery is the only cure. if not treated, stroke, heart attack, broken bones and organ damage to kidneys and other organs...over longer time frames, and left untreated the outlook is not good

successful surgery will reverse the symptoms...dont hesitate once you get surgeon that is good and experienced insurance requires at least 2 demonstrated symptoms, at least in MASSACHUSETTS tou have kidney stones and high BP YOU should also get a bone scan to see if you have lost density

i literally started to feel better in post op after tumor was removed and CA LEVELS DROPPEDINTO NORMAL RANGE

also, look into NORMAN PARATHYROID CENTER IN TAMPA FLORIDA DR NORMAN HAS A GREAT OVERVIEW ON ALL ASPECTS OF HYPERPARATHYROIDISM AND HOW HE DOES SURGERY VERY HELPFUL

FEEL FREE TO REACH OUT TO ME IF YOU NEED ANY INFO GOOD LUCK THIS DISEASE CAN BE CURED

• Posted

I called norman parathyroid center, it cost $13,750 for everything and my insurance doesn't cover it.

So i'm going to get my scan and talk to my endocrinologist and see my options.

• Posted

i did not consider for same reasons...his web site was informative though

good luck

• Posted

Yes, it totally makes you the opposite of what you were. I'm quiet and timid, but since hyperparathyroidism, I will stand up in someone's face and tell them off. Its horrible.

• Posted

ahmad413. i to had problems like yours. i have had the surgery but symptoms still remain. a friend of mine who is a dr said it takes 1 month from date of operation for full recovery

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.