Hypomanic or just having a brilliant time?

Posted , 1 user is following.

Sorry, a bit on the long side, but really need opinions if this was a hypomanic episode?

In 2004 I went backpacking to Australia. Back then it wasn’t the way it is now. 

Far more chilled. 

I was 24. I’ve to say I’m on the quiet side and not into alcohol or heavy parting at all. I love having sitting together with others and chatting about this and that.

Not that I don’t enjoy the odd drink now and then, but def wldn’t have more than a couple of drinks at the most.

When I went to Australia I actually was in a relationship and the plan was to settle back into my “old” life after the year.

I wouldn’t be really someone who spontaneously decides on life changing decisions. Or you wouldn’t call me reckless. I can make spontaneous decisions, but never reckless.

Would be probably think about important things twice before committing.

Thinking back, I’d say I had a “low” phase in Australia. Ice stayed on a farm and somehow  managed to withdraw and isolate myself. It was out of season and all the work that was there was tidying up and preparing for the next season. So, no other backpackers really. I’ve joined the local library and spend my free days reading in bed avoiding other people.

The only reason why it wasn’t that bad was that the family I was working for literally mad me attend barbies and joint them for dinner. 

After staying for three months on the farm I’ve “suddenly” decided to spend 1500 $ on a s****y car. Money I actually didn’t have. Put it onto the credit card. Suddenly I had another 4 backpackers willing to travel from Perth to Darwin. Within a couple of days my bags were packed and we were hitting the road. 

I’ll never forget that feeling. It was hot. Music was blaring out of cheap speakers. There was no roof lining in the car. It was boiling hot. The airstream from the windows bring barely any relief. It was f...ing BRILLIANT. I just loved every second of being on the road. 

In one of the National Park I was approached by a ranger. The gang were down in a gorge while I was lying hangover on one of the picnic benches. My drinking has spiraled out of control. We were drinking cheap wine. Buckets of it. Me who can not even drink half a bottle.

Anyway, like in “Wolf Creek” we got invited to his house for a Barbie and beds. No comment. As it was me who said yeah.

Well, luckily it was just freakish and nothing happened. Ok. It was mega freakish and now I can half laugh about it.

When we’ve finally arrived into Darwin we didn’t go to a hostel but checked into a campsite. The partying continued. A six pack every night. Music. Chatter. Fun. Party. Every nite we went to bed around 1-2am and got up at 6am. Too hot in the tents and aside that we had s****y backpacker jobs waiting for us. Once on the way to a waitress job I got stopped by the police. I had some wine before I left for work and you barely can drink in Australia before losing your license. Well, I don’t know how, but I did talk myself out of it. I was over the limit. Another time I’ve broken red lights and the police came after me. Definitively wasn’t thinking straight. But again. I’ve talked myself out of it. 

During that time I literately went on the “hunt” for “male blood”. Nightclubs. Can’t stand them normally. Well, one night stands are also not my cup of tea but I did manage to have four in four weeks hahaha. Not so proud of it at all.

Ok. I never would sleep around like that. I just remember being horny all the time.

Then I’ve met my partner. And decided he is THE ONE. He was dating another girl which didn’t stop me. I still can’t believe that I did that. But, yes. He ended up mine.

Somehow I lost it then.

I was supposed to fly home two weeks later, but booked my return flight to Australia. Put it onto my famous credit card . Yep. 

I’ve know that lad for three weeks max! 

I’ve moved to a foreign country because of him!

On the positive side, we’re still together 12 years later and we have a family, but that was a bit very spontaneous. 

Somewhere in between I got a perm, broke up with my then boyfriend of five years. 

Shocked my parents by telling them I won’t be coming back. 

The whole lot lastet maybe 3 months.

I never went that bananas since then.

On the other hand I might have self medicated by smoking a bit too much week.

My lows were never really really low. I could cope and get out of bad and go to work.

And as I’m more on the happy side most days anyway, no one would have noticed too much when I was bouncing around which I know I can do. 

I’ve never realised it before but I have tons of routines set up and they might have just kept me as grounded as possible.

So, what the f**k happened in Australia?

Just a brilliant time or was it hypomanic?

Opinions please :D

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.