Hypothyroidism and Eye Problems (e.g. Macular Degeneration) aka AMD.

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I thought I'd just mention to watch out for Macular Degeneration if you have an under-active thyroid caused by auto-immune disease.

I have none of the usual risk factors for macular degeneration such as: family history, smoking, aged 60+ etc., however at the age of 46 I was diagnosed with macular degeneration, dry version (there is a wet version - which can be treated with Lucentis and NICE guidelines of being treated within 2 weeks of diagnosis).

Ever since I was diagnosed I was convinced it was to do with thyroid/auto immune and recently research has found an auto-immune cause.

There is a lot that one can do to help mitigate against dry macular degeneration to help prevent it, and also to help stop its progression once one has it. So it is really worth getting an eye test each year.

Another check is to get hold of an Amsler grid. If the black lines are wavy when you look at a grid of straight black lines, make an urgent appointment to see an optician and tell them so.

Research has demonstrated a particular combination of high dose of certain vitamins and minerals helps stop the progression.

The Macular Society is a great source of information and support.

4 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I think your post is informative for people with Hypothyroidism, fortunately my form does not seem to be of the autoimune variety so I am perhaps luckier than some.  Maggy
    • Posted

That's good news.

However Macular Degeneration is prevalent in the general population and in the UK I believe it's the biggest cause of blindness for people over 60. 

It doesn't hurt to be aware of it particularly when, if it occurs, prompt action is required.

• Posted

There have been two excellent research studies (look up AREDS and AREDS2) that have identified a particular combination of vitamins and minerals as helpful to slow, and in some cases prevent, the progression from Dry AMD to Wet AMD, and also to help prevent Wet AMD deteriorating. The result of these studies is the advice to take, split across 2 doses per day: 500mg Vit C, 400mg Vit E, 25mg Zinc (though the AREDS2 study showed Zinc is harmful if you smoke), 2mg Copper, 10mg Lutein, 2mg Zeaxanthin. All these can be found in a tablet called Viteyes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.