hysteroscopy curettage polpyectomy - is local anesthetic enough for the procedure?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi - I am due to have a hysteroscopy, 360 degree curettage and polypectomy for one polyp found in my uterus. My ob-gyn suggested it could be possible to have done under local anaesthetic -(whilst taking 1000mg of paracetamol and 400mg ibruprofen just beforehand). My question is -will this still mean a very painful and uncomfortable procedure (30 minutes long)? My ob-gyn said I would have to be resilient to have just a local anaesthetics for this. I would much prefer a local to a general anaesthestic. So, with all the above drugs listed plus the local, would it still be really painful? thanks

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

There are around 4 options for pain relief

1) nothing

2) pain killers like in your op

3) local anaesthetic injected into the cervix

4) general anaesthetic

Most clinicians claim that women do not find this procedure painful merely uncomfortable and it is rare to find this painful. Having done a bit of research on this I believe that the main driver is cost for NHS and convenience for patient. Every woman is different and it's impossible to predict on everyone whether it will be painful (this includes women who have given birth). If you are worried about pain and may tense up then ask for GA (it may take longer to have the procedure done) but you won't feel pain. Hope this helps. 

• Posted

Have you considered asking for conscious sedation? It's suitable for short procedures and is a happy medium between a local and a general. I had one yesterday and recovery was very fast. Once the diazepam and fentanyl got into my veins I was awake but totally unaware of what was going on. I had no fuzziness afterwards and would not hesitate to have this again. I cannot remember the procedure but this was the effect I wanted. My procedure was cystoscopy which only lasts 15 minutes, I'm not sure how long yours would be. It may be worth asking your GP or consultant. Good luck. 

• Posted

Hi I'm waiting for this procedure to my consultant refused to do it without a GA she said it's brutal ask if it would be possible I'm in the uk by the way good luck xx

• Posted

Sorry but this procedure is horrible they dilate your uterus to 12 cm they burn out the polyp and then continue to scrape out your lining with the curettage why would you want to be awake I'm petrified off going under a general anaesthetic but the pain is more scary awake thinking about you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.