I am 3 weeks post repair of a hammer toe and the pain is excruciating

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I am so discouraged. I am a 64 yo active person and this surgery has gotten me feeling so down. I thought the pin was going to be removed from my pinky toe at 2 weeks but the Doctor said 2 more weeks. I was hobbling along without too much discomfort at 2 weeks and had stopped the pain medication. He said I could swim in a chlorinated pool ( I live in Florida and its June!) . So

I got in the pool and pushed myself to kick and tread water. That was 4 days ago and I have been in agony ever since. I went back to the doctor ad he said everything looks great! 6 more days until the pin is removed. But every step is a nightmare. I walk a little and then have to elevate and ice. I can hardly walk my little dog. I did have a tumor on the toe caused from friction in shoes. Maybe that complicated the surgery. Im starting to feel like I will never walk again and it is so depressing. Im looking for some encouragement I guess... so tired of laying around. I had no idea recovery would be this hard!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

hi! im a bit late, but i hope the pins coming out has helped! im 19 years old, i had bunion surgery on both of my feet as well as four toes fixed for hammer toes all done at the same time back in April and it was definitely a rough process, i was told recovery would be quick, painless, and that id be able to walk within days. this was very far from what happened, i had to be carried or wheeled anywhere, including the bathroom for about two weeks. i thought the same thing as you, i really thought id never be able to walk again, especially when i first tried to start walking on my own. i felt hopeless, but its been about three months and i walk pretty fine! it took about 2 weeks of practicing walking before i was able to really get the hang of it. even now i have a bit of a hobble and am for sure slower than before, but im in way better shape. i hope everything turns out okay for you, i know it can be really hard. keep me updated ❤️

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.