I am fortunate in that my lichen planus is of my nails only.

Posted , 9 users are following.

My nails are fast disappearing, thinning, splitting from cuticle to tip and then just opening up and gradually disappearing.  The splits sometimes become slightly infected and painful but this gradually goes - along with the nail!  Sometimes the skin under the nails splits along with the nail itself.  My nails are a disgrace and dirt works its way right under the thinning and lifting nail and also under the cuticle.  I've tried all sorts of creams and oils but nothing helps.  Any suggestions?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Kathryn

It does take time but change your diet, keep yousing the 100% pure oils to keep the skin moist.  Take ZINC tablets (herbs) that helps the over all skin..

Keep trying... I noticed after about 3-4 months improvements in my skin and hair and nails.  its slow (but natural) food and herbs products have the long term positive out come (for control) of the Lichen Planus.. Just working with it is the best you can do in this period of time.   Until medicine finds the cause we can not cure the illness.  ALL the best  

• Posted

Oh, and have you tried rubbing vitamin E oil into your cuticles...I've heard that also helps mend the splitting.
    • Posted

I have been using Bio Oil but will give vitamin E oil a try too, thanks.
  • Posted

You may have a vitamin A deficiency. One of the signs is splitting nails. You have to be patient with a vitamin A supplement...it will take 3 to 4 months to see a noticeable improvement in  your nails once you have started.  A very safe amount is 10,000 i.u. once a day. You may want to give it a go.
    • Posted

Many thanks for your reply.  I have had all (an I mean "all"!) the blood tests for vitamin and mineral deficiency and I am incredibly healthy!  Allegedly.
    • Posted

I have oral LP, LS on the legs and the private area...but am fortunate that most of mine is not readily visible...so I can only imagine how distressing watching the destruction of your nails must be.  I'm day 6 into the Paleo auto-immune diet...hoping that will improve, put into remission, or cure my symptoms.  It is very restrictive, but I'm finding it easier day by day. Learning to eat to live instead of live to eat. After six weeks you can start adding some foods back in...one food every 5 days and keep a diary on your reaction to it. I did a 5 day fast to try to reset my immune system and that didn't work for me...so this is the next step. I'm also doing a variety of supplements. A plus side already is that I  have lots more energy.  I expect I will also lose some unwanted pounds...so I will at least have those results even if I do not achieve my altimate goal.
  • Posted

Kathryn,

I have had the same problem for 20 years now. Unfortunately there is no cure for it, as far as I know. Once the nails are destroyed, they are gone forever. But changing your diet and keeping them from getting to dry or to moist helps with the ones that are still there (or somehow half there)

Make sure you get enough Zinc and A vitamin. 

Stress can make it worse, so try to stay away from stress! I get small blisters all around the nails when I am in a lot of stress and they are very itchy! 

After a few years of dealing with open wounds on my fingers (and big toes) and dealing with all sorts of weird reactions from people, I decided to start using fals nails to cover them.(I do it at home, the nails salons are too risky for me!) It helped mentaly but I don't know if the doctors would recommand that! I gave up on going to doctors after a few years of unsuccessful struggle :-(

• Posted

Hi Mikela

I have been reading your comments on small blisters all around the nails!  I have these clusters of tiny pimple-like spots on the back of my hands and inside wrists.  The itching is unbearable and similar to the LS down below  Is this at all similar to your "blisters"?  Hope things have improved for you.

• Posted

vitamin A deficiency  Please note just be carefull with the amount of Vitamin A you do consume no matter if it is perscribe medicine or a herb table.  I had reactions to taking vitamin A .  AND  i just add a note here  (( if) and i am strongly saying (IF)  you have issues with hair already fall out... be carefull as (vitamin A supplements may speed that hair loss more...))>..... again... i will strongly say... here  (( every person is a individual in this diease and every person will have different reactions))... but it does support all to take note of thier BODYly reactions.

Sharing our knowledge about LP and the treatments on this forum.  Is to help US the possible ways of living daily with LP... I have to agree with another person comments... I am learning to LIVE again, instead of being drilled into the daily routine of life.... the diet is important.. Caring for the Liver is very important.  AND  trying to adjust how a person reacts to STRESS is also very important.  (( i do have many challenges in life that stress me)) but now i see the damage... so I am trying to change and change my career and handle my family in a different "light".

I desire to keep my hair on my head, instead of seeing it in the shower / comb.

Take care all.  

• Posted

Many thanks for your reply.  My hair stopped growing and started "falling" for about 4 months early last year following a prolonged period of work related stress, then I was diagnosed with lichen sclerosis which has now crossed over into lichen planus.  Prior to that, I had always been extremely fit and healthy and not bothered by stress at work but when it became a daily thing (volume of work rather than content of work) my body obviously felt that enough was enough and rebelled.  Let that be a warning to all of us who soldier on in the workplace!  So far, nothing has helped my nails except, when the exposed skin splits, I find that Germolene helps the pain and any infection, and Flexitol, which is for cracked heels, help soften and repair the resulting dry, open split.  Just wish I could get my nails clean as dirt sits in all the fine cracks and around the widened gap between cuticle and nail.  To make matters worse - I garden for a living!
    • Posted

i also garden for a living and ive had NLP for 4 years learned how to live with it! biotin is real good for it!

• Posted

Hi Kathryn from Currumbin.

Sorry to hear your long journey. As for stress and Hair issues. Yep... that sort of my story also. Stress certainly takes it toll on people who keep working when the pressure is on and on and on..

That is what has pushed my health into Lichen Planus... I just had another flare up (due to stress) and I just sitting in tears here, asking why does life have to be so pressured and challenged I am just on age 60 years.. and when life should be happy and on a good road. I am faced with these challenges.

Cheers for now.. do what you have t o to keep well as Lichen planus is un kind and will keep attacking US the body until we CHANGE

• Posted

Hi Currumbin

I know exactly how you feel.  I am a couple of years younger than you and, yes, it does seem so unfair.  I'm trying to just let the bad things go over my head and focus on the good things in life.  I allow myself a few minutes of internal ranting when something annoys me and then shut the door on it!  Sounds so easy.....

• Posted

I feel for you that the LP is involving your nails.  Like others here, mine is oral, mostly restricted to my mouth.  I am 63, and it began September, 2013, out of the blue.  That said, I've had other unexplainable issues for the past ten years that are autoimmune related.  Doctors don't have a clue on diagnosing all the issues I've had.  Currently I am taking an immune suppressant, and I am praying this LP will leave as suddenly as it came.  It did for a friend of mine.She had it a couple of years, then it disappeared.  Years later, she hasn't had a relapse.  I only hope I am that blessed.  If not, I will begin working on my diet (I'm a vegetarian) and begin the process of eliminating wheat, glutin and sugar.  My hair has fallen out for over 15 years.  It lasts about six months, stops for a few months, then begins the process of falling out all over again.  I have been taking folic acid and biotin for the past four months, and my nails are better than they've ever been.  Try taking both folic acid and biotin for four to six months and see if it helps.  I am grateful for this site as I have no one who understands this crazy illness.  God bless all of you.
    • Posted

I agree - this site is so helpful as nobody else has heard of LP and cannot understand why I am not having treatment!  I was interested to hear about your hair as my hair started to fall out last spring - it's pathetic but it made be cry.  It didn't all fall out and started to slowly grow again but, every now and again, I suspect it is shedding again albeit at a slower rate.  I have been taking Viviscal tablets (which contain biotin) for months and have just stopped (to see what happens!).  My hair is definitely better but my nails aren't so it could be that the tablets don't have any effect and my hair is just going through the same cycle that yours does. I am open to suggestions though and it is interesting to see how others are coping.  My toe nails are also disappearing fast but they aren't as painful as my fingernails are at times.  And, of course, they are hidden from view!  I just keep thinking there are a lot of people worse off than me and I shouldn't get upset.  Let's hope one of us finds the miracle cure!

• Posted

Look into the Paleo auto-immune diet.  It looks a little scary at first, but once you get used to it, it's not bad and you don't get hungry...and you will begin to feel better physically and mentally. I've been on it 11 days and have made a couple of errors as I've been getting used to it, but I have seen improvement in my symptoms...so am very hopeful.  I know that at least I'm eating much more healthy fare.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.