I am freaking out about levothyroxine. Help!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there hope you guys are doing well

I started to take levothyroxine 25mg today (medical prescription) i am having most of hypothyroidism symptoms in addition to PCOS

The doctor said i have a slight inflammation

The lab results didn't reveal any auto-immun factors

My question is

Is it possible to stop taking levothyroxine after my thyroid gets better or at least after the symptoms are gone?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Edited

if you have antibodies then you have Hashimotis which is auto immune, you will need thyroid meds for life, your saying no auto immune was detected, do you have any actual results of tests?

just from my experience, my thyroid was borderline for a few years, fluctuating, then I was tested for antibodies that were positive and put on levo. Levo will not heal the thyroid it replaces the hormone you need that the thyroid is not making enough off.

• Posted

Generally people who are prescribed thyroid medication must continue use for the rest of their life. The levothyroxine at the proper dose will cure symptoms of hypothyroidism but only for as long as you keep taking it. Once you stop (not recommended) your symptoms will return.

Your inflammation, PCOS, and hypothyroidism are all bound together. PCOS is associated with elevated anti-TPO anitbodies (which attack the thyroid) and increased rates Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism. Inflammation can also be a cause and result of autoimmune disease. To be completely honest I think it is more likely that your thyroid will get worse over time as long as your immune system continues to attack the glands as seen in Hashimoto's patients. My advice is to make sure you get your Levothyroxine dosage right and do what you can to reduce inflammation. Hope this helped.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.