I am going to start home peritoneal dialysis tonight

Posted , 6 users are following.

After having my op to fit a peritoneal tube just over 2 weeks ago, I have just completed the training to prepare me to carry out home dialysis. I will be getting my machine ready this evening, then going to bed, where the dialysis will be carried out for 8 hours, hopefully during most of which time  I'll be  asleep. Wish me luck. 

2 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Yes, certainly loads of luck, Linda.  I know people who do this routine very successfully, one whilst carrying out amazing work as a qualified nutritionist and yoga instructor.  Sweet dreams! 
  • Posted

Nothing but best wishes to you!!

Please let us know how it goes--I'm probably only 6-12 months behind you on this journey although hard to know for sure.

Marj

• Posted

Hi Marj,

Hope all is well. I remember you posted sometime ago that you are getting on dialysis. Are you on PD or HD? Can you share your experience being on either?

Best,

Andy

• Posted

I am now a few months into my peritoneal dialysis at home experience. It has not been completely straighforward- the machine I use can be quite noisy, so sleep is not always great. Also, I am now on my third machine since starting at the beginning of October ( various problems led to my having to have replacements). In addition, simply getting used to the routine has taken a while. However, things are fine and I am happy to continue. Any questions?

• Posted

hi linda, with a gfr of 10 it wont be long before im on home P.D myself, can i ask.......how much better do you feel since starting dialysis? ie energy levels etc. thanks in anticipation ....Andy. (i do hope you are well)

• Posted

Hi Andy, I have read that most people feel just fine once they get used to their routine. It's a learning curve, as with any new ability. I hope that this helps put your mind at ease. Good luck darlin'.

• Posted

Hi Andy. Sorry it's taken so long to reply. I got used to peritoneal dialysis and although it was frustrating at times, knowing that I had to prepare every night and always be at home to do it, I saw it as infinitely preferable to hd. At least I was at home and didn't have to hang about in hospital waiting for my session. Also I had no side effects with pd, so didn't experience any physical problems. However that's in the past for me, as, wonderfully, I got a kidney transplant in April. Good luck with your dialysis and if you are on the Transplant Register, I hope you get the call too. Linda

• Posted

hi linda, can i ask, did you feel much better after statring dialysis. im sbout to commence pd myself and wondered . many thanks in anticipation....Andy

• Posted

Hi Andy. I didn't feel at all unwell before I started dialysis, so there was no change in how I felt once I'd was on dialysis. I found the process mostly very straightforward, although there were some issues with the machine setting off an alarm if I moved a certain way. I had a kidney transplant in April 2019, but know that, without the 6 months of dialysis, I would have been much more unwell. Good luck with starting your dialysis. Linda

• Posted

thank you linda , my gfr is 7 right mow and i dont have many good days so was hoping to feel better once it commences. i do wear ear plugs st might so may have to stop that lol. so pleased you got a transplant, hope your are doing great. i have a telephone appointment next monday from the transplant team( sheffield) , its been nesrly two years in waiting do o hope its a big yes from them. x

• Posted

I would imagine your system will feel better once your kidneys don't have to do the work that they can no longer manage. I wish you lots of luck in starting your dialysis. There seems a lot to learn at first, but it becomes second nature quite quickly. And best wishes for your transplant team appointment. I notice that more clinics are opening up again. I hope you get the answer you want Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.