I am scheduled to have a hip replacement in July.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I wondered if there is anyone in the forum that has had a hip replacement that suffers from Myasthenia Gravis, which is controlled by medication.

I am unable to have a general anasthetic due to my condition.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What is this condition
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn,

Myasthenia gravis is a rare auto immune condition that causes the immune system to attack healthy tissue in the body. It affects muscles that are usually controlled voluntarily such as eye/eye lids, chewing, swallowing and facial expression but can also affect the muscles that are used for breathing, the neck and limbs.

Patients with this condition ofen experience most difficulty after exercise and when very tired. The reason Derek is not able to have a general anaesthetic is because of the problems associated with recovery from anaesthetic.

Dot, x

• Posted

Hi Derek,

I do not have the condition but have looked after patients in ITU who have been affected. I would discuss your needs with your consultant and ask to also pre-op have a consultation with your anaesthetist. Many THR's are done under spinal block and sedation so this might be what they are planning. Let us know how you get on,

Best wishes, Dot

• Posted

Well you will have spinal anesthesia.which works much better.Because no pain when you wake up. They will put a block in the bone and nerves do you won't wake up in pain. I have MS Do I understand a little what you are going through.

You will feel so much better with the new hip after you heal from the surgery.blessings to yousmile

• Posted

Hi

Apart from on this forum I dont know anyone who has had a GA for a hip replacement. I'm a volunteer forArthritis Care and know lots of peol with replacements and most have had spinal blocks.  I've had 2 THR's and a spinal block and light sedation for both of them..

I would recommend it to anynone

Love

Eileen   UK

• Posted

Eileen, Derek has a rare medical condition, I am a medic and he is not suitable for GA as I posted above but some are not suitable for spinal. I have previously had a severe fracture of my spine so had to have a GA. For Derek, spinal block would be the right choice but he needs to discuss with his team.

Best wishes, Dot

• Posted

Thank you all for your responses, I will do as you advise dot60135 and ask for a consultation with the anaethetist prior to the op..

Best wishes to you all

Derek 54514

• Posted

When you have been given a date for your operation you a have to attend a pre operation assessment and a hip education on the pre operation you will automatically see a anasthetis who will talk to you about the different options I my self just had a spinal injection which numbs you from the waist down and a slight sedative

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.