I am worried about my cocktail of drugs causing cognitive decline

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 77yo male who does not drink, smoke and exercises regularly.

Lately, I have been experiencing some memory issues where I forget things or don't know how to describe them, and I am wondering if the cocktail of drugs I am taking is contributing to my cognitive decline.

I survived two brain aneurysms which led to deep vein thrombosis and a pulmonary embolism so I take apixaban (Eliquis) as a standard anticoagulation drug.

For hyperlipidemia I take Rosuvastatin (Crestor).

I also suffer gastroesophageal reflux and take Esomeprazole (Nexium), and for seasonal allergies I take Fluticasone/azelastine (Dymista) + fexofenadine (Allegra).

The prescription medications are common but not without side effects and the two over-the-counter medications are also common and probably don't have any real side affects, however I wonder if they may be reacting with the prescription medication to the detriment of my cognitive functions.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

I ask a pharmacist they know more about drugs than doctors. good luck.

• Edited

Lol -- terrific comment! Cheers for your input Lee.

• Edited

I'm 6 years older than you, don't drink, don't smoke and get plenty of exercise, my memory is absolutely dreadful but I have put that down to my age and not drugs. I had a stroke three years ago and was put on statins but only took them for a couple of weeks because of the side effects, now I am just on Clopidgrel. I have no experience of the drugs you are on but I don't think that statins help anyone, quite the contrary. So your memory loss might be the cocktail of drugs but equally might be your age. It might be as well, as the above reply advised, to check with your pharmacist as doctors tend to prescribe drugs without much thought regardless of what you are already taking.

• Edited

Cheers for your reply Trisha. I have some friends in their 80s and 90s who remain as sharp cognitively as they were in their 60s. So whilst undeniably advanced age is a factor of cognitive decline, it doesn't need to be and because it doesn't need to be there are other factors which must be contributing.

The information on statins is somewhat contradictory, but I tend to think that by themselves they are problematic of cognitive decline when observing the dose dependant factor.

I accept that seeking out the opinion of a pharmacist is pragmatic, but it seems like a careless approach for doctors to be prescribing a list of drugs without alerting the patient to the potential side-effects or the body's inability to contain the load.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.