I can hear my pulse in my ear after an ear infection?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had a cold for 2 weeks, just when it was almost gone, it turned into an ear infection in my right ear. (I haven't been to a doctor, but I know it was an ear infection with stabbing pain, muffled hearing etc..). Now,a week later, the pain in my ear is gone since a few days but what has remained is that I can hear my own heart/ pulse in the ear that had an ear infection. 

It is continously, sometimes even wakes me up at night, makes it impossible to focus/sleep/study and I can't take it much longer. I have no pain, just that noise still slightly muffled hearing.

What could this pulsating noise after an ear infection be? Could it just be ear wax or fluid that's still in the way (although I have no pain anymore)? Did anyone have this before / how could I get rid of it?

(I CAN'T go to an ENT doctor here, I'm in Canada for one semester and you can't just go to an ENT here. Also they will send me away anyway, if i have a pulse sound but no pain etc... I'm just asking for advice here because I can't take it anymore)

Thank you, sorry for my English 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It is most likely wax/debris in the canal or fluid behind the ear drum. Can you see a doctor so they can look into your ear canal and if it needs syringing they can do that? If not get some wax softening spray from the Chemist and use is day and night for a week. If the wax doesn't come out then you will have to see a doctor.

• Posted

I'm not exactly sure what it is but I can hear my heart beating in my left ear for 4 years now. Been to a ENT he said everything is ok. I'm actually going to get a second opinion as I felt rushed. Sorry I'm no help I'm still looking for answers just wanted you to know your not alone.

• Posted

4 years?? I'm sorry to hear this! I could honestly not get used to it. I think you should really go to another ENT and other kinds of doctors.Did yours start with/after an ear infection too?

I hope for you it goes away and I hope it's just ear wax or fluid (that's what I hope for myself too...) which I guess would be comparably easy to fix in the long-term.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.