I found a possible link to adverse effects of Metronidazole.

Posted , 5 users are following.

My doctor prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg. 3 times daily for 7 days.  I made it to day 3, and had such severe weakness that I did not take the morning dose because I would not be at home.  I did okay while shopping, but once I reached the checkout, I became really weak, could not feel my legs, vision narrowed, and felt faint.  With the help of my son, I managed to complete the transaction, but had to immediately sit down on a bench until I recovered enough to make it to the car.  When I received the prescription, the pharmacy leaflet stated to avoid alcohol while taking the medicine and for 72 hours after stopping it (I knew about that from previous antibiotics); the pharmacist stated not to use even a mouthwash that contained alcohol.  The leaflet also stated to avoid propylene glycol.  Okay, so what products contain propylene glycol?  I searched and found cake mixes, frosting, ice cream, margarine, sodas, etc.  I took the medicine that afternoon and for a couple more days, until I had seizure-like twitches, bottom lip raw inside.  I stopped it and the twitches went away.  After a couple of days, I felt fine one morning, and then started to feel the symptoms again.  I could not figure it out until I noticed that the only think I did before feeling weird again was brush my teeth.  I searched again, thinking that maybe the toothpaste contained alcohol.  No, it contains propylene glycol, and it is right on the label.  I had to find an alternative to the toothpaste, and still cannot use it, after one week off the Metronidazole; the combination caused an interaction.  After searching and finding this discussion, I thought that maybe this bit of information would help someone else.  I also discovered that a steroidal ointment that I used the same week is "in a base of propylene glycol."  It states it on the tube.   

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I cannot take Metronidazole either.  I got c-diff after chemo treatments and now get it every time I take antibiotics.  I have had to fight all week with the insurance company to get the Vancomycin that I finally got today.  Metronidazole makes me ill.  Dizzy, light headed, ringing in ears, headaches, nausea, vomiting, even worse diarreah, and the over all feeling of being hit with a mack truck.  I will never take this again.  
  • Posted

I took gas x with it and having all kinds of side effects took the 4th day of it, searching propylene glycol is in it, hope to get through this, I'll never take it again, thanks for the heads up I know I'm not alone.

• Posted

I have been subscribed this antibiotic for a tooth infection (which I am having extracted today)  I have been feeling really unwell and this morning was sick.  I haven't had dairy products as advised but don't know what to eat!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.