I get a smell of seaweed in my nose before a day of sneezing

Posted , 4 users are following.

I started with itchiness about 10 years ago. I only needed to touch my skin an would get red weals on my body. Then started the sneezing, which could go on for a whole day, leaving me totally debilitated. I have been told it is just allergies to dust mites! I have taken Ceterizine for 10 years and I suppose it has made episodes less frequent, but I wonder why I get this smell of the sea, seaweed on the day of a sneezing session!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I found an interesting page on the NHS website, which is waiting to be moderated

The condition is known as - Phantosmia (smelling odours that aren't there)

Have you discussed this with your GP?  Perhaps that is your next port of call!  Good luck.

• Posted

The link from Mrs Mop...suggesting it may be a hint of a possible infection is interesting...but my first instinct on reading this ...was rather different.

I immediately wondered if this was an indicator to you linz.....???

Like a profound communication. And why not explore it like that? Is there a possibility that your body is telling you what it needs. ie instead of continually repressing your senses and the reactions you're having....why not pay attention to these signs and indicators?

So a seaweed smell is very specific and one thing that smells and tastes like seaweed is a highly nutritious substance called spirolena. Its made from a pond weed ...I jokingly call it pond scum...because its very challenging to take...but you may well have heard of it? Its very strong to take....so you need to be brave. But I believe you could do it!! Anyway instead of being so rude about it (!)...I 'm trying to get to know it and take it in a green smoothie with some kiwi and other veg and poss some banana just to make it more palatable.

Thought I'd mention this alternative way of looking at things...rather than repressing symptoms perhaps instead trying to maybe work with the body in addressing the root cause?

Just to share with you i'm currently struggling with autoimmune thyroiditis...got to make my way over to that group....and lichen sclerosus. I've been concentrating on trying to indentify the foods which are triggering a reaction in order to eliminate them until I've 'healed and sealed' my gut . Then I would hope to be able to re-introduce them ...except for gluten...which does enormous damage to the gut and as its now mostly GMO would be best left out of a good diet for evermore...in favour of veges and smoothies and all the new wholesome food practices that are emerging.

This practice of temporarily removing things is the elimination diet. I'm having a go if you'd like to join me!!?

Hope this helps as a possible way of looking at things which is maybe more positive and might help you to feel more trust in your body...its ability to send your indicators and untimately to heal itself...if we get out of the way and stop loading more junk into our bodies. xxxxxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.