I get severe disability allowance

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently been awarded severe disability allowance but I am also in the work related esa group. I am 63 years old and worried about losing £30 a week from my esa. I am also scared if I rock the boat I might lose rather than be better off. Don't know what to do

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Snap I am in the same trap where I desperately want to work again after 14months of not working after shoulder surgery and Fibro for 10 years Last week someone crashed into the back of my car. So this has made things worse for my recovery plus my 12 year old had to take 3 days off schoolfor whiplash. I want to start permitted work asap but would be on a zero hours contract. As self employed What do I do if I go over the £115 per week we are allowed to earn. I am waiting for an esa reassessment. Can I sign myself off before I am reassessed if I find I can work again. I have hated being part of the illogical Dwp shambles and want to put it behind me

• Posted

I would have to check but my understand is the £30 reduction will apply to all new claims and those who are currently in receipt will not be affected.

• Posted

just looked this up Anthony.  It is definitely for new claimants only - I wasn't sure, as when they introduced the 12 month time limit for the WRAG group it was done retrospectively to catch all those who had already been in it for that length of time.  The only problem is, for those people whose time limit it is up and who reclaim ESA at some point in the future, the cut will apply.

• Posted

Hi lyne I thought ESA was a work related benefit, I'm same age as you and now retired and get my state pension, do you get a choice to have one or the other ?

• Posted

As soon as you become eligible for state pension you cease to qualify for ESA.  There are various different cut off points for pension age, so this lady may have been born a few months after yourself and although the same age, may not qualify for pension until age 66.  This happened to me.  
  • Posted

When is your review for ESA ?  If you have started to get the severe disability allowance as a result of a change in your condition I would think about trying to get into the ESA support group, which would mean a higher rate of benefit with no threat of a cut. To qualify for the support group you don't have to rely on scoring points from the work capability assessment, you just have to be eligible for one of the categories which places you in the support group.  See the table below for full details of these descriptors.

1.  Mobilising unaided by another person with or without a walking stick, manual wheelchair or other aid if such aid can reasonably be used.

Cannot either

(i)  mobilise more than 50 metres on level ground without stopping in order to avoid significant discomfort or exhaustion 

or

(ii)  repeatedly mobilise 50 metres within a reasonable timescale because of significant discomfort or exhaustion.

2.  Transferring from one seated position to another.

Cannot move between one seated position and another seated position located next to one another without receiving physical assistance from another person.

3.  Reaching.

Cannot raise either arm as if to put something in the top pocket of a coat or jacket.

4. Picking up and moving or transferring by the use of the upper body and arms (excluding standing, sitting, bending or kneeling and all other activities specified in this Schedule).

Cannot pick up and move a 0.5 litre carton full of liquid. 

5. Manual dexterity.

Cannot either:

(a) press a button, such as a telephone keypad or;

(b) turn the pages of a book

with either hand.

6. Making self understood through speaking, writing, typing, or other means normally used.

Cannot convey a simple message, such as the presence of a hazard.

7. Understanding communication by— 

(a) verbal means (such as hearing or lip reading) alone,

(b) non-verbal means (such as reading 16 point print or Braille) alone, or

(c) a combination of (a) and (b), 

using any aid that is normally, or could reasonably be, used, unaided by another person.

Cannot understand a simple message due to sensory impairment, such as the location of a fire escape.

8. Absence or loss of control whilst conscious leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or bladder, other than enuresis (bed-wetting), despite the wearing or use of any aids or adaptations which are normally, or could reasonably be, worn or used.

At least once a week experiences 

(i) loss of control leading to extensive evacuation of the bowel and/or voiding of the bladder; or

(ii) substantial leakage of the contents of a collecting device;

sufficient to require cleaning and a change in clothing.

9.  Learning tasks.

(a) Cannot learn how to complete a simple task, such as setting an alarm clock, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

10. Awareness of everyday hazards (such as boiling water or sharp objects).

(a) Reduced awareness of everyday hazards leads to a significant risk of:  

(i) injury to self or others; or

(ii) damage to property or possessions,

such that they require supervision for the majority of the time to maintain safety.

11. Initiating and completing personal action (which means planning, organisation, problem solving, prioritising or switching tasks).

Cannot, due to impaired mental function, reliably initiate or complete at least 2 sequential personal actions.  

12. Coping with change.

(a) Cannot cope with any change, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder, to the extent that day to day life cannot be managed.  

13. Coping with social engagement due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

Engagement in social contact is always precluded due to difficulty relating to others or significant distress experienced by the individual. 

14. Appropriateness of behaviour with other people, due to cognitive impairment or mental disorder.

Has, on a daily basis, uncontrollable episodes of aggressive or disinhibited behaviour that would be unreasonable in any workplace. 

15.  Conveying food or drink to the mouth.

(a) Cannot convey food or drink to the claimant’s own mouth without receiving physical assistance from someone else;

(b) Cannot convey food or drink to the claimant’s own mouth without repeatedly stopping, experiencing breathlessness or severe discomfort;

(c) Cannot convey food or drink to the claimant’s own mouth without receiving regular prompting given by someone else in the claimant’s physical presence; or

(d) Owing to a severe disorder of mood or behaviour, fails to 

convey food or drink to the claimant’s own mouth without receiving —

(i) physical assistance from someone else; or

(ii) regular prompting given by someone else in the claimant’s presence.

16.  Chewing or swallowing food or drink.

(a) Cannot chew or swallow food or drink; 

(b) Cannot chew or swallow food or drink without repeatedly stopping, experiencing breathlessness or severe discomfort;

(c) Cannot chew or swallow food or drink without repeatedly receiving regular prompting given by someone else in the claimant’s presence; or

(d) Owing to a severe disorder of mood or behaviour, fails to—

(i) chew or swallow food or drink; or

(ii) chew or swallow food or drink without regular prompting given by another person in the physical presence of the claimant.

If you think any of these categories may apply to you then it might be worth contacting the DWP to report a change in your condition.  You would more than likely have to go for an assessment but this is the only route out of the work related group and so not subject to the £30 cut in the allowance.

• Posted

Addendum.  Just researched the £30 cut and it applies to new claimants only, so you are OK on that score.  You would also not be subject to the 12 month time limit on ESA if you are claiming income based ESA.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.