I had a laparoscopic splenectomy on 11/25/2017

Posted , 2 users are following.

On 11/17/17 I had a coil embolism to fix a splenic artery aneurysm. This resulted in the death of my spleen. On 11/25/17 my spleen was removed laparoscopically. I have had many complications including a pseudo cyst on my pancreas. I run a fever usually low grade and my body hurts all the time like I have the flu. My blood work is not normal yet and I have anemia. I am trying not to get depressed. But I was a very active 49 year old vegan that doesn’t like to sit down much and now I feel like I am 150 years old. Does this ever get better or is this my new life?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

I just had emergency surgery to remove my spleen 3 weeks ago and I'm terrified. My immune system was already shot and I've been taking daily antibiotics for years so the splenectomy really has me concerned. Like you, I've been trying to reach out to others who've been in this situation for advice. I have gotten nowhere. I'm also 49 years old and lead a very active life- or I did. I have body aches, fevers and am always tired. My arms also feel numb and weak and I am constantly dizzy. My blood pressure is low and my pulse runs between 90- 130 with no exertion.  I'm unsure of what precautions to take, what foods to eat, whether I can keep my animals, etc. Most of my doctors have never dealt with a splenic patient previously and are unable to answer my questions or give reassurances. If I find out anything I will pass it on to you. I'm so sorry that you're going through this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.