I had bunion surgery 5 months ago & still have elevated big toe

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello

I had minimally invasive bunion surgery 5 months ago. I am still suffering pain, swelling & discomfort & my big toe is elevated. I had CRPS which started 6 weeks after op but that is much better now. I am still on pain killers & I have to tape my big toe down in order to get my trainers on. This is impacting my emotional health as well as my physical well being as I still cannot walk properly without pain. The surgeon assures me that my toe will go down when I can walk properly but it is so uncomfortable for me to walk at all with my toe taped down that I now feel I cannot win whatever I try. I have been doing toe & foot exercises & I have been having electromagnetic therapy every day but progress is very slow. Has anybody else experienced anything like this after a bunionectomy. My big toe was broken during the operation & the bone was slow to heal but is now almost there according to my latest x-ray.

I would really welcome any information which would help me to understand what going on. Thank you.

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

My bunion surgery is going on 3 years in March. My big toe along with the next 2 toes, do not touch the ground. My doctor quit on my and the fill in doctor said my only option was to redo the surgery. i was told that scar tissue built up and is not letting the toes go down. my physical therapist said i will just get my scar tissue of i have surgery again. ive tried PT, accupuncture, dry needling, myofascial release and red light therapy. These have helped a little but i still cant walk on hard surfaces without slippers or shoes. i get pretty depressed about the whole thing. wish i would never had it done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.