I had never heard of a prolapsed cord before and I was p...

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had never heard of a prolapsed cord before and I was pregnant with my 3rd child. I was 11 days overdue and ready to go for induction the following day. Come 12.52am the previous night my waters broke. My partner rushed out of bed and I told him to stay calm and put the kettle on for a cup of tea until we know how far apart contractions are. I got up and went to the toilet to find my umbilical cord, all of it, hanging out of me. I stood at the top of the stairs and screamed as I knew this was not right. He phoned the hospital and they told him to put a cold tea towel on the cord with me on all 4's, they then changed their mind saying it should be a warm tea towel, to keep my bottom in the air and they were calling for an ambulance and I will need emergency c section. I was extremely frightened. We knew the baby was a boy and I just thought I had already lost him. The ambulance took some time but when two turned up they took me out on a stretcher and gave me oxygen to help the baby. I started having mild contractions in the ambulance. We got to hospital and all surgeons were scrubbed up ready. My partner could not be with me and I was knocked out with a general anaesthetic. I came round to see my little boy and he was fine. However, he proved amazing to all medical staff as he survived in me for 55 minutes before delivery. The minimum is 7 minutes and maximum 20. He was a legend and is doing fantastic aged 14 months. I am now pregnant again and like him, the placenta is at the front so Im so scared it will happen again but Im told its like lightening striking twice. Since his delivery I have suffered post natal depression.

Prolapsed cord should be made more aware. As frightening as it is, I think its not made aware because stopping vices and doing all you can for a healthy baby cannot prevent a prolapsed cord. Its one of those rare things but it does happen and unfortunately its not detectable before hand. Im scared though its going to happen again and I hate going to the toilet just incase I see that cord again. Im having another little boy and I dont want history to repeat itself.

If anyone does read this you must of had a prolapsed cord because its not known about until you do. I think it should be though because its usually fatal. Should any mum read this and want to get in touch, please do. My experience was nasty but the end result was good, I understand that not everyone will have the same result, I do understand that. Thinking of you all that have gone through that experience. xx

[i:0714397bfa]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0714397bfa]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My daughter had just turned 18 and was pregnant with twins when this happened to us. I have never been so terrified in my life.We lived in the mountains in Idaho and were told ahead of time tiffany would need a C-section. At six and a half months tiffany started having contractions.Tiffany was put on bed rest so we moved to town with relatives to be close to the hospital. It got to the point where we were at the hospital three to four times a week, sometimes twice in a day to get shots to stop her contractions. They kept telling us we needed to hold off labor for as long as possible.The day before she delivered we were at the hospital twice and sent home. Tiffany was given a shot and some pills and told they would help her sleep go home and get some rest.We both went home and layed down. I fell fast asleep from sleep depravation. I was awaken by a scream from hell.I ran straight to find tiffany. She was in the bathroom and when I got to the door not totally concise and looked at her half dazed, she franticaly with terror in her voice said, mom I just went pee and when I got up there was blood in the toilet.I woke up real fast now and went and looked. There was fresh blood in the toilet. Tiffany said mom it feels like somethings coming out of me. I said what, What do you mean somethings coming out of you and she said I can feel something. I got down and my hands and knees and tryed to see what she was so upset about and sure enough something that looked like blue plastic was poking out. I started flipping out a little by this point and said its ok honey were going to the hospital. I barely made it two doors to our bedroom to get my car keys when she yelled again. When I got to the door she said mom I thinks its the umbilical cord. I said no honey and and she turned to face me and said look. When I looked down an umbilical cord was hanging down close to her knees. I lost it, all I could think about was dont scare or panic her. I just said Its ok honey were going to the hospital whatever you do dont push. I ran to the phone and called the hospital. I reconized the voice on the other end as one of the nurses we had seen a few hours earlier. I told her who I was and reminded her we were just there a little while ago. I told her Im bringing Tiffany back to the hospital, something is hanging out of her, the nurse said ok see ya when you get here. I drove as fast as I could and ran every red light to get to the hospital. I was happy it was so late and no cars were out.Tiffany was taken straight from emergency to labor and delivery. Within seconds tiffany was up on all fours and a nurse shoved her hand inside tiffany, the whole time screaming in pain. This was all to overwhelming to believe. I had three children of my own and had never even heard something like this could happen. To make matters worse our doctor was out of town and we had to wait what seemed like an eternity for his doctor on call to get to the hospital to perform an emergency C-section. When the babies were finally born they weighed 4-4 and 4-2. The larger one was my grandson he was doing pretty good and only needed to be put on oxygen. My grandaughter however was the one who's water sac had broke. She wasn't doing as well. A transport team had already been assembeled and had arrived before the delivery doctor. It felt like time stood still when we were waiting for the doctor to arrive. When my daughter was in recovery they let me in to see her. They told me ahead of time they would not let me go back with her.They said I would have to wait until she was put in her room. When my daughters in pain shes very demanding and I think they decided they would let me deal with her. While I sat with her the recovery nurse started asking me questions like how did you get her here to the hospital and how did she sit in the car. I knew right away there was more to these questions than met the eye.I responded and by her reaction I said what I did was wrong was'nt it. She said yes
  • Posted

I had never heard of it before it happened to me. My waters broke at 28 weeks. 3 days later I went to toilet before bed and felt something come out. Lucky I was in a big hospital and not my local hospital cause if I was my little girl would have died as the hospital does not have the resources or doctors to perform emergency c sections. I called a nurse in straight away, she put her hand straight inside pushing the cord back in. they I was rushed in to have her. Because they had limited time to get her out they had to cut anywhere, I had a pre existing condition which made it hard to locate where she was. I lost more then half the blood in my body and ended up getting an infection which spread to my body. I had to have a hysterectomy 2 weeks later. I agree even through its rare in pregnancy for this to happen it should be discussed it more.

• Posted

hi. i completely disregarded the section of "Complicated Pregnancy and Delivery"in my baby book and had one of the rarest, cord prolapse. i had my water broke at about 3am in the morning and got my husband to drive me to the hospital. being anemic, my GP has advised me to arrange for my delivery to be at a big hospital should there be any complications, e.g. loss of blood, etc and the hospital will have the adequate facilities to deal with it. thank god we reached the hospital in time and the doctor managed to keep the cords in by sticking her fingers in to prevent it from coming out. baby came out fine and the whole operation went smoothly. but definitely an experience of a lifetime!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.