I had open AAA surgery in Oct. 2017 still have bad pain, Help

Posted , 6 users are following.

I went into the hospital in July 2017 to get my AAA open repair. The vascular surgeon made me have a heart cath at the hospital, the doctors dissected vessels in my heart during the cath., I needed an emergency heart bypass. After going through all the ICU and Cardiac Intensive Care due to that, I was told to come back in 3 months for the AAA surgery. I again went to the hospital in October 2017 and had the open repair. I was in the hospital for about 9 days and the sent to a rehab for 2 weeks. My incision did not heal properly and I had to go to a different vascular surgeon closer to my home to have that repaired. I was then placed on a wound vac for 2 months. Finally, I was released from the Home Care Nurse. I was still in pain.

That was March 2018, then I thought to get a mammogram which I had put off for a few years, due to the impending doom of the AAA surgery. I had the mammogram done and biopsies, etc. I was told I had breast cancer and needed a mastectomy. So, in May 2018 I had the mastectomy. I am still in pain from the AAA surgery.

I have a big bulge on my left side I think it is a broken rib. I really can't get any doctor to say for sure what is the cause of my pain. They all say maybe this maybe that, or you had a BIG surgery. I still have had no follow up CT scan, I will do as soon as I get blood work done next week,(necessary for CT scan).I went to get fitted for a prosthesis and bras and with all the pushing and pulling of the fitters I think my internal parts were pushed all around causing a great flare up of pain.

Does anyone still have terrible pain 8-9 months after AAA surgery?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for sharing your story. You are obviously quite brave and a survivor.  I haven’t had surgery for my TAA yet but I do hear the pain can last for years after these types of surgeries.  

Praying for less pain and a full recovery for you.  

• Posted

Dear Lifeisgood999,

I am not really brave I had no choice astonishingly the surgeries. Thank you for your prayers. I actually had both a TAA and an AAA and had my kidneys removed due to tangled renal arteries. One kidney was replaced with its real artery the other was replaced with a Dacron graft. These surgeries, (the bypass, and the aneurysm surgery) were done in Manhattan at New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell. 

I wish you great luck in your upcoming surgery. It won't be as bad as you think. My surgery was very complicated. It's not a fun surgery but you can get through it.

• Posted

I had my surgery December 1,2017 and still having shortness of breath issues. My upper stomach gets tight . Has nothing to do with or without food. I haven’t been able to for back to work. My cardiologist Dr. Cole at NYU is amazing. I had all the scans with dye, ultrasound of my heart all is good. Nxt step endoscopy to check stomach. I’m so out of shape. You have to be your own advocate the surgeon told me nothing and I asked if I needed rehab he said no. My acute aortic dissection was an emergency. I felt stabbing pain in my jaw and went to Lennox Hill I thought I was having heart attack. Next thing I’m being taken upstairs the door opens about 15 people including the head of robotic thoracic surgery. They said 10 hrs later I would have been dead. I had a 5.2 cm aneurysm and was bleeding into my chest. My now ex pcp didn’t have me on blood pressure meds, never took X-ray of my heart. I have anxiety and takes meds since 2005, panic attacks. She’s asking why I wanted a chest X-ray? I was a smoker she never sent me previously. My grandfather died at 53 from heart. And 3 of my grandmothers siblings. U have to be proactive about your health, even with the people in the Drs office. You have to follow up on everything. Don’t assume because they told u something that it was done. They r all basically idiots 
    • Posted

I’ve only had tightness in upper stomach and shortness of breath. The pain wasn’t for very long. Some difficulty sleeping, finding a comfortable position. And I had muscle pain on both upper portions of my back. My cousin a PT bought a cream for me that had arnica in it and gave me great relief. It’s major trauma to your body. I hate to be blunt but your arms are out to the sides and they r cracking open your chest. My surgery was over 4 hrs.  It’s going to b uncomfortable after. Years of pain I don’t know about and I read a lot. See if your hospital has a rehab program after surgery.
  • Posted

You've had a lot going on. I survived a ruptured AAA. To answer your question, the wounds have closed up and I don't have anything bulging however my stomach area is still tender. I was advised by my surgeon that I'm still healing. 

I'm surprised that you were given the clear for another big surgery. But hey... I'm not a doctor. My vascular surgeon scheduled my first post op CT 6 months after the surgery. Why are they not scheduling a CT? When you go to your regular doctor, tell them that you want a CT done. Get a copy of the disk and also have one sent to your vascular doctor. 

These doctors have many patients so I make it a point to let him know that I need his attention because I care what us going on with my body. 

Best wishes on getting this issue fixed. It's obviously not normal and they need to see what is going on.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing. My wife sometimes has pains after open surgery (TAA december 2017), but not terrible. She still has dissection of descending and abdominal parts.She is more anxious about her physical activity.

Praying for less pain and a full recovery for you.   

• Posted

gior1984, I was 69 years old for the operations in July, October, January and 70 years old for the operation in May.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.