I have a terrible sleep cycle and I don't know what to do anymore.

Posted , 7 users are following.

For the past two years my sleep cycle has gone more and more out of sync. I wake up usually one hour after I initially fall asleep and then about every 45-75 min thereafter, unless I stay awake for an extended period of time, ( like 20+ hours ). I have tried changing everything about it on several occasions. I have a dog that sheds. For the last year I did not even allow her in my room. At first because I was thinking that her hair was causing my sleep problems. That's not the case though since it has been a year and I still wake up several times in the night. I was a mechanic up until about 8 months ago, and I work out every other day, so I know it is not a build up of energy. The problems started well before I stopped my job. I had a nasal polyp removal done about 11 months ago. Still the problem was not solved. I have tried sleeping during the day and night and there is just about no difference. I was recently in a relationship where we were sleeping together every night. Symptoms persisted before, during, and after. I have tried two sleeping drugs, over the counter, whose names have now slipped my mind because I needed to know them, go figure. Pressure points, massaged for relaxation, reading, and TV, all do not help or help. I drink a lot of soda. However, I just started it again about two months ago. I went almost 3 months on nothing but water, milk, and juice. Mostly grape and orange. I am also a smoker. I enjoy smoking but I did quit for 3 months about 6 months ago just to check if that was my problem. Again no difference. I feel like I have checked everything in my life aside from going to a doctor and getting prescription drugs, which I don't want for some unknown fear that I have of them. If anyone reads this and thinks of something that could lead to me actually getting a full nights sleep without staying up for 20+ hours straight every day please let me know. Thank you.

2 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

My work outs mostly consist of crossfit workouts. Though I never do them on their hardest levels due to my smoker lungs. About 2 packs every 3 to 4 days. Unless I drink, which happens about once every two months, then i can smoke a whole pack in one night. Alcohol does not help me sleep, just helps me smoke more. It is getting much harder lately to keep up with anything during the day though with the amount of sleep I am losing almost every single night.
  • Posted

Also when I wake up it is usually a jolt. If I lay there I get this feeling in my core that becomes extremely uncomfortable and forces me to move around. I get up and do 20 to 30 push ups, 30 or more situps, and about 20 to 25 jumping jacks. Then lay back down to get another 45 to 75 min. Every few nights I will just get a bowl of ice cream or have a half of a cigarette and not do my little workout. But most nights I end up doing 100+ pushups, situps, and jumping jacks.
  • Posted

Have you tried sleep hygiene? I think that is your best bet.
    • Posted

Have not heard of that. I will look into it. Can you recommend a good website?
    • Posted

I take that back. I Google it and I have tried using things like that.
    • Posted

The NHS website is good. It is the only treatment for long term insomnia. You need to keep it up for a few months. It might be simple and boring... but if you give it a good go it does work.
  • Posted

There are some nights where I only wake 1 or 2 times. Still have the same uncomfortable feeling in my gut, but I eventually get about 4 or 5 hours straight on those nights. Tonight was real bad. I was on a 4 mile, steep incline, for the days workout, then did some work on the car. Fell asleep at 1 am and was awake at 147 am. Back asleep by 2 am, after my little workout routine, but awake again at 253 am. Again awake a 340 am and the last time I woke up was at 442 am. It is now 524 am. Guess u should quit replying a whole bunch to my own post and let someone else read it. If there are any questions I can provide more info on I will do my best.
    • Posted

One last thing. My soda is caffeine free. I have not had caffeine in almost 4 years. Unless it was hidden in some of my food.
  • Posted

Hi there,

​I had been dealing with the same kind of sleep issue for nearly a year, but I learned a way how to minimize its effects, and it is gradually receding.

​A major key for me was to stop looking at the clock when I woke up. Judging from how accurately you recall your awakening times, it looks like you are doing the same.

When I used to wake up, I would immediately look at the clock to see how I was doing. Upon seeing that I was only asleep for an hour or less, I would get frustrated, and would be thinking pretty dark thoughts as I went back to sleep. Because of that bleak thinking, I would of course wake up again soon after.

​When I stopped looking at the clock when I woke up, I didn't feel nearly as anxious when going back to sleep. Over a few weeks, my sleep stopped being a problem. It would still be quite restless some nights, but I still felt reasonably rested during the day. Things have been slowly improving after I implemented this about 6 months ago. I'm guessing (since I don't look at the clock anymore) I wake up 1-3 times a night, and even if I wake more frequently, I'm not suffering from poor sleep.

​So try that. Even if it isn't as large of a key for you as it was for me, its still good to break out of the habit of looking at the clock. I would also suggest NOT excercising after waking up. Excercise is good, but you want it to be over at least 2 hours before bed. If you wake up and can't get back to sleep, it is best to get out of bed and do something slow and relaxing. Like reading a book.

​I would also suggest seeing a therapist. Try some cognitive behavioral therapy, and learn stress relieving excercises, which are especially helpful to do before bed.

​Lastly, look into getting a sleep study done.They will look for things like sleep apnea, which you probably don't have if you are in good shape, but also restless limb syndromes, or maybe teeth grinding. Check with your insurance first, because they are not cheap. But it is good to eliminate any possible physical ailments before focusing solely on the psychological ones.

​Good luck!

• Posted

Thanks. I will try not looking at the clock. I have recently taken to grabbing my phone every single time I wake up. And if it has only been 45 min or something like that, then I usually get extremely frustrated after the second or third time. As for a sleep study they are expensive and I am currently between jobs. I recently moved to California and was missing some paperwork that allowed me to get a job here. That paperwork is on its way so hopefully soon I will be able to get into a sleep study. I also forgot to mention that I am 27 years old. If that makes any difference.
    • Posted

Ah, sorry to hear about the work trouble.

​There's an app called sleep cycle that can let you run a cheap sleep test. It uses the phone's accelerometer to measure your body movement at night. I don't much more than that, because it requires you to sleep on your stomach, which aggravated my back at the time when I first got it. You could try that to do a cheap check for excessive limb movement.

• Posted

Hi there, I'm guessing the soda you drink may be high in sugar/ or artificial sweetener? This will pump up energy levels to the point you find it hard to relax. The fact that you are doing a workout when you wake up will also stimulate you even more. Have you ever tried Yoga or Tai Chi to provide a more calming exercise? Yoga breathing techniques can really help with relaxation and are quite easy to learn. Best wishes Marion
  • Posted

Sounds like you're waking after each sleep cycle, are you waking with no memory of dreams or do you wake up after a dream?
  • Posted

everyone enters stage 1 (awake) sleep 5 times a night but don't remember because they go straight to stage 2 (asleep)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.