I have been given Sertaline and worried about weight gain. I have eating disorders in the past.

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi I have been given Sertaline to control my depression but I have also been diagnosed with bipolar 2 years ago, I was given 50mg to start with but I went back because I felt I was gaining weight I felt different sad so I am very confused because after taking to the doctor about my upset I have walked away with now having to take 100mg. Please can anyone tell me if they have had this problem (weight gain

thanks Donna

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

A lot of the antidepressants cause weight gain! But what is a little weight if you can live a happy great life! Just watch your diet and eat healthy!
    • Posted

Hi wilb

if only I could get that into my head that would be I much much happier place for me to be smile but it's just a big worry for me is the weight thing,I feel I will be fight 2 things.i do eat well but I have heard so much about this drug & to make me worry more my doctor put it up sad yes your right been happy with life would be the best feeling ever smile

• Posted

No I haven't had weight gain. I've been on them 3 years now

• Posted

Hi Michelle, thanks so much for your feedback.I am also worried about weight gain being on 100mg of sertraline for 15 days now.I was on Prozac until May last year and had been for a couple of years and gained over 20kg.I felt that I didn't need the antidepressant anymore and slowly weaned off it Then things started going downhill in my life again over the months and have been absolutely miserable.I reluctantly was prescribed Zoloft.Sorry to ask but what dosage in mgs were you taking over 3years and not gaining weight as the 20kg just fell off me over a short period of time to be below the normal weight  for my height.(I'm 56kgs&not sure cm 5ft7ins).Hoping you can ease my mind,Diane

• Posted

Oooo that's great I think I am one of the unlucky ones sad

its like your trying to beat one thing getting that much better BUT then bang another pops up....feeling so low & confused not to mention wide awake hench been or here.....weight gain,so tired but restless,sweating when will there be a happy light ???

thanks everyone for your reply's smile

• Posted

I lost my appetite and have lost weight with sertraline, but it's not really helping with my anxiety or depression. I'm afraid to increase past 50m because I haven't heard any positive comments from people when they do. I've been taking them a few months and they should be working by now, I might wean off and give up on these meds.

• Posted

Hi Tony,sorry to hear that but I am going back & asking to come off them I too really don't feel any better so putting them up to me won't help sad

• Posted

I'm on 100mg of Sertraline. I haven't put on weight and neither did a friend of mine. I upped to 100mg from 50mg 8 months ago. They helped a bit upping to 100mg but not loads. They worked best when I first went on them xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.