I have been having nocturnal panic attacks every night, what should I do?

Posted , 2 users are following.

I wake up in the morning with memory troubles. How can I prevent this?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hello,

I'm a retired medical professional from the U.S. and have several questions. I do realize that this post is quite dated but I've only recently discovered its presence and sought to provide assistance where possible.

The title of your posting states the presence of nocturnal panic attacks but the content of the post states that you awaken with memory troubles. Are you asking whether the night terrors or panic events can negatively impact memory or are you seeking answers to independent issues?

Over time, poor sleep architecture can certainly result in bradyphrenia, or slowed cognitive performance and the specific nature of memory troubles would help me to provide further comment in that regard.

Are the panic episodes strictly occurring at night? I ask because it is uncommon for Panic Disorder to occur strictly during the night and I would ask whether your description is self-diagnosis or have you undergone evaluation by a physician to arrive at this conclusion? Panic disorder in the general sense can arise at any point during a 24-hour period. Another point to make here is that Sleep Apnea can be responsible for sudden or startled awakenings accompanied by choking sensations and tachypnea, or rapid breathing, that can be mistaken for panic events. Finally, Dawn Phenomenon arises from an insulin surge that occurs at approximately 3am and can, depending upon dietary conditions, result in low glucose capable of demonstrating ill effects. While Dawn Phenomenon is most often associated with diabetes, it can nevertheless occur in non-diabetics depending upon glucose status and dietary peculiarities.

If you'd like, please respond by providing answers to my inquiries and more specifics regarding the condition and effects being experienced.

Best regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.