I have been invited to go on a cruise to Alaska with inside passage.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have Meniere's Disease and wish to know if anyone has been able to do such a trip without getting vertigo.  Thank you for any help you can offer.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am also very curious about this as I've been on many cruises before my diagnosis but none since then.

The only time I ever had trouble with is dizziness or being nauseous was when the seas were very rough but nowadays I have no clue so yes I'm wondering also about that and also flying. 😕

• Posted

I hope we both get answers to this.  As for flying, I've found that if I wear wrist bands (do you know about these?) and use Earplanes, I tend to do okay on planes.  The only time there is a problem is if there is a lot of turbulence.  Flying seems to go better than long car rides these days.

• Posted

Well now that I know about the wristbands I will definitely try them, thank you!!
  • Posted

Hi naomi68931, I went on a boating holiday and I have never felt so ill in all my life, the vertigo, sickness, off balance etc etc lasted the whole time I was away and for the next nine long weeks. I have vowed I will never take this sort of holiday again. But flying I am ok with, it doesn't effect me in anyway x

• Posted

Hi sarita68311,

Thank you for your reply.  I'm so sorry you were ill...vertigo is so horrible.  When I've had an attack it makes me want to crawl into a hole and stay there.  There is no quality of life at that point.

Can you please tell me what kind of boat (ship) you were on? 

• Edited

If the boat is big enough so that you don't feel the water moving the boat too much you should be okay. I went on a river criuse in Europe and noticed some small difficulties, especially when the boat was moving. There were a LOT of windowed walls so you could enjoy the scenery. If I could see the movement of the water out of the corner of my eyes while I was walking, I would get dizzy. I would keep my eyes glued to the floor and hold my husbands arm until I could sit. I made a point to sit with my back to a window. It was okay looking across the room at the other window. There was no problem with flying, I have only flown larger planes so I don't know how things would go with small prop planes. I made a point to bring some over the counter sea sickness anti nausea pills with me but did not need them. I consider myself relatively stable on my medicationso that would be a plus for any one. If you are concerned as to how you might feel watching moving water, find a river with the water rapidly moving, if you can. Walking by it without directly looking at it should answer your question. Premedicating is also a choice, which is what I have done when I plan to be on a boat. I even tried diving in calm seas, it worked while in the water although afterwards I felt like I was walking leaning sideways. This told me no rough water and no waters with surge so I have had to give up diving as that is never a guarantee. Ask yourself how stable are you and would premedicating work for you. If you can answer yes to both of those then give it a go. I would certainly do it but then people question my sanity a lot.

• Posted

I am most appreciative of your response.  Thank you for taking the time to reply.  I, too, was on a river cruise and did fine most of the time.  This time the ship will be in the inner passageways of Alaska and it will be a bigger ship.  Can you tell me what premedications you use?  It's been my experience that they make me feel sick...I seem unable to tolerate whatever I have tried.

• Posted

Dimenhydrinate is what I use for motion sickness. You do need to be sure to keep yourself hydrated as your blood pressure may drop a little low. I always tended to have a lower blood pressure and when I was started on dyazide for MD there was some issues with my blood pressure. I also will take the pills with a light breakfast or snack to slow down the absorbtion. I did not have MD when I went on an ocean cruise, but unless you are in a storm, you generally don't feel the wave action. You will also be in a very protected area in the inner passages so that is less of a concern (less wave action). Those areas are safe enough to kayak.

• Posted

I did my research on how awful my condition is and yeah, according to my Meniere's, I guess I can fly and be on at least a cruise ship. If I am on any boat smaller, my vertigo could get worse.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.