I have been off fentanyl 4 weeks and I have zero energy

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have been off of 75 mg fentanyl  for 4 weeks, after being on fentanyl about 8 years. I have zero energy. Can anyone advise me if this is normal or a time frame when energy may return? I do have CFS and Fibro but it did not seem to be much of a problem as long as I took my meds and supps and kept the stress down while on the patch. Just so confused. I do not want to go back on the patch. So over that. But really want a quality of life back. Is there hope I can look forward too? Is the zero energy just part of the withdrawal process? I had read that my body has to learn to produce dopamine on its own again. But I do not think that effects energy levels. Thanks in advance for any advice or help.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

It could be unrelated to the Fentanyl patch.  You may need to check with your doctor.  You could be low on B12, iron, anemia or any number of things. If so, a B12 shot or a iron infusion would help tremendously.... (I get those because I have several vitamin deficiency's)  If it does have to do with coming off of the patch then I am sure your energy will return since your body is rid of fentanyl.  (Congratulations by the way!!) But either way, you need to have it checked out to make sure you don't have another issue that can wipe out your energy.. The things I listed above all do that.  

• Posted

Everyone is different but after 15 years on med it took my body about eight months to fully regain my energy and that was with me pushing myself to walk and exercise.  The first three months were the worst with barely able to walk to bathroom and kitchen but could not stand to cook for five minutes.
  • Posted

Hi.

I am also on the 75 mg patch and due to my severe pain I actually have more energy with the patch and Tylinal 4. I felt best when I wasw on 60 mg of Methadone per day, however they wont write it here in Amarillo. I'm stuck here for a while. I had a stimulator implant for 8 years but my body got to where it just didn't help any more so it was removed in Dallas a few months ago along with some clean up work they did inside my back. Wow do I have a scar now. I am an over active person 60 years old and still ride 4 wheelers and plan to get another real dirt bike soon. Without the drugs and patch I spend all of my time in bed with unimaginable pain. When I was forced to move here, I had some withdraws from the absence of Methadone, however once again due to my pain it wasen't so bad. I guess what I'm getting at is are you sure your going to be ok without the patch as far as your pain goes. Don't forget you started on them because of your pain... 

Thanks from Joe

• Posted

You may have other systemic issues going on, so please check with your Dr.

I am off the patch for 4 weeks after a 10 year stretch. Anxiety, insomnia, fatigue and restless leg syndrome have been difficult effects from coming off the patch.

This group has helped me get through the first few weeks.

I wish you luck and hope your Dr. can find a comfortable solution for you.

Donna

• Posted

Hi a very big well done for being fentanyl free. I've started my first withdrawal from 50 mcg to 37 mcg 3 weeks ago, and am struggling big time with dreadful withdrawal symptoms. How long did it take for you to withdraw from the 75 mcg. Did you do a slow withdrawal, I'm not sure when I will do my next reduction, at the moment I can't even get my head around it. Thanks Vicky

• Posted

Yes, it was for me, ZERO energy.

It is absolutely reasonable that you have zero energy from going off of the Fentanyl.

I was on 75-200mcg for over 15 years, I have had Juvenile Rhuematoid Arthritis for 48 years, diagnosed as a small child. I had so many joint replacement surgeries over a 10 year span it was the only medication that helped my extreme pain. I was kept on it after the surgeries and I wanted off.

I changed my patch every 48hrs, as soon as I was close to the 48 hrs my everyday dropped like a rocket, as soon as the new patch was on, within an hour I had my energy back.

I started to feel extreme sweats, anxiety etc, and I wanted off the Fentanyl. With my pain mgmt dr and my RA dr I came off the medication. The first 3 months were brutal, with complete exhaustion, I could hardly get a shower without breathing heavy and feeling zero energy. After 3 months I started to feel better, I felt a difference each month, until about 6 months off. I started to feel like I could do a few more things.

I did ask the same question you are when I was withdrawing from this drug. I was scared I would never feel better.

From a different fentanyl website I was told it would take a complete 2 years to get back to 100%, for the pain receptors to repair. I wanted to cry....I thought how can I make it another day let alone 2 years. There just was not another choice for me, I wanted off Fentanyl.

I took it one day at a time and it was hard, very hard, but I did it and I'm now at 17 months off fentanyl.

I'm so,so much better, there are still a few hard days here and there I have to say, just nothing at all like the first 6 months. I felt a Freedom from this drug that had controlled my life for 15 years, even though I had no choice like so many others, it was and is a celebration everyday!!

I was on medications to help with withdrawal symptoms for 6 months. I was also on dilaudid for pain, and still take. I would recommend being on something if you're not.

Just hang in there and keep asking the questions, others really helped me through some really hard days and weeks. Keep your mind on the end game, It is so worth everyday of misery coming off fentanyl. My life is so much better now, yours will be too. Everyday day, and month get a little easier.

Hang in there you can do this. The fatigue was one of the hardest parts for me too.

Karen smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.