I have been suffering with gritty eyes?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have been experiencing gritty eyes recently and it seems to be happening a couple of hours after taking Losartan for BP? Could they be affecting me like this? Does anyone know?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Kizzie, I haven't experienced this side effect whilst on Losartan but we are all different in our response to medication so perhaps worth getting an ophthalmologist to check your eyes - perhaps you are simply suffering from something such as 'dry eye' in which case some drops might help?
  • Posted

I have that problem doc said it was dry eye, the chemist could. Give you a spray or drops for that
  • Posted

Losartan is one of the first group of Angiotensin blockers, and is not as specific in what it blocks as the later versions, which included Valsartan.

When I was taking Losartan I developed a 'dry' chest, and cough.  When I caught Orange County Flu in the first year I sounded like a crocodile breathing badly.  My daughter in law is a physician and she told me about Valsartan. Losartan seems to have a drying up effect on some people, and it definitely did on me.  

Go see your physician.  OR - are you doing a lot of computer work now?  Staring, without blinking can cause your eyes' lubricating glands to atrophy.  (Not the salty tear glands, the lubricating ones.)  

Whatever the cause, consider getting some lubricating drops for your eyes.  Optive 'Refresh' is good, but there's a whole range.  Avoid ones that 'wash' the eye, because they'll remove whatever oils you have.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.