I have been taking 150mg of Tramadol a day for 4 years and am stopping cold turkey. I'm worried

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been taking 3 ~ 50mg tablets of tramadol a day for about 4 years and took my last pill 3 hours ago. I am going to stop cold turkey and need advice. I am on an antidepressant but am very worried about the restless leg syndrome at night while in bed. I think I can handle the flu like symptoms but the restless leg syndrome really scares me. Any advice is really appreciated

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Are you able to taper down instead of going cold turkey? You can go through my history & read part of my cold turkey story. I was one time taking 300mg - 500mg or more a day for 2 years & I finally wanted off so I went to taking 150mg a day & the w/d's were quite miserable. For me, the severe anxiety was the worse & it lasted much longer than the physical symptoms. The flu-like symptoms lasted about 4 weeks while the anxiety lasted about 3 months. It can be done but not advised. Once I got thru the physical symptoms is when I started to wean by 1/2 pill. I would take about 2 weeks with each wean. It got easier each time. It's a miserable experience & I wouldn't wish it on anyone. So sorry you're about to go through it. Please update to let us know how you're doing. Also, reading other people's experiences on tbis forum is a huge help.

• Posted

Its been 12 hours since I took my last 50mg pill. I feel a little fatigued but know the worst is yet to come. Im not able to wean off so cold turkey is my only option. From what I read the first few days are the roughest so Im preparing myself mentally and am on an anti depressant . Ive heard benadryl might be helpful at night for sleep so I have some at the ready

• Posted

***UPDATE..

Its been over 24 hours since my last 50mg tablet and I am experiencing some mild fatigue , thats it.. I can definitely tell Im not taking it but I was expecting more withdrawal symptoms after 24 hrs

• Posted

It's not easy but you have support here. I hope it's easier for you than others. Keep moving, even if it's a short stroll around the block. Stay hydrated. Keep in touch.

• Posted

A nurse gave me 1 ~ 50mg tablet at 8 pm. Last night when I laid down around 6pm I immediately felt awful. It happend just like that .

• Posted

don't do it it's too hard you have to wean yourself off them slowly i did and have now been off then 10 months it the only way i tried cold turkey and it nearly ruined me please believe me

• Posted

Im not able to wean off. From the looks of things I was taking a fraction of what most people were taking so maybe it wont be as severe. I know its going to be horrific for a few days but I have to do it.

• Posted

the only way to do cold turkey is with cbd oil. and i dont advise that either. slow taper, even if you have to crush or divide pills. going off tramadol too quickly can lead to restless leg syndrome that can stay with you permenently.

• Posted

if you can taper off then i'd recommend that instead of going cold turkey. I was on 6-8 tablets a day and cut down by 1 a week, despite my doctor recommending i reduce by 1 tablet every 2 weeks. Going from 3 to 2 tablets was the worst for me. Felt rubbish for a week or so but haven't looked back. Now been opiate free for 6 months!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.