I have eating disorder and i want to give up smoking ,also suffer depression

Posted , 3 users are following.

and take sertraline, i put on weight with this and made me ill so confused, because if i give up smoking gain weight too, any help on how to take antidepressants  which do not gain weight and help with giving up smoking, without gaining weight, very impotrant as i have lost 5 and a half stone , so scared i will go back there , any suggestions

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi I know the feeling.  For smoking, have you tried nicotine gum? It can be really helpful. 

Best,

Jonathan

• Posted

dear jay,

unfortunately most,if not all antidepressants, seem to put weight on.(probaby sponsered by kellogs!?)

i,myself have problems with my weight, middle of night manic eating.

You haven't said what your mental symtems are but i have found that really good back and shoulder massage gets rid of the back/shoulder tension, which makes ,for me,alot of difference.

Also if you can get on some sort of program,ie,group therapy,it can be daunting, but will help you understand that you are not isolated. (helped me loads).

Really hoped this helps.

Richard.

please feel free to contact me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.