I have just returned from my doctors and he has informed...

Posted , 1 user is following.

I have just returned from my doctors and he has informed he cannot prescribe Co-proximal anymore. I have had servere arthritis for 16 years

and am know 44. My old Doctor at the same surgery stopped the drug about a year ago, but when i started seeing the new doctor that had joined the practice, i was put back on them. But today alas he informed me they had been notified to stop prescribing. He asked if i wanted to try Co-codamol, and i said that he may as well as prescribe nothing, as they have no effect. He and the phamacist told me there is no plan to replace this drug with any of equal strength. I along with alot of pain sufferers have been given the short straw and will be know expected to suffer in silence. Well I emplore all of you out there, to put presure on the medical profession, by mentioning you to your GP that you may turn to more natural alternatives for pain relief. And to lobby your MP and send letters to the health secretary.

Yours Painfully

[i:72a856147d]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:72a856147d]

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had the same problem getting Co-Proxamol on prescription, however my doctor seems to be more sypathetis and advised me to call the Primary Care Trust for my area and to speak with the Pharmavict which overseas where I live. The information I got is as follows, Yes Co proxamol is being withdrwn Dec 2007 and until all supplies are finished presciptions will be filled. When Co proxamol comes unlicenced patients who's doctors are willing to have them sign forms so they can be what is known as "Named Patients" will still be able to get them on prescription providing there will be a manafacturer who is making them. I guess all of us who still want this pain killer as they obviously work for us will have to do as much as we are possible to get them made available on this basis. My local pharmacist ahs been helpful also in as much as if I can find a manafactuter they will approach them on my behalf. I do know that Ireland still have these painkillers on prescription so that will be my next plave to find out where I can get supplies.

[i:c3e021aaa8]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:c3e021aaa8]

• Posted

My GP is still prescribing co-proxamol however, when I took my prescription to the chemist today I was told that it is no longer being supplied to pharmacies. I tried about 4 different chemists and they all said the same. I assume even if you are a named patient if the pharmacies can't get it then neither will you. I am going back to the doctors on friday to discuss my pain control. I know that nothing else works as well as I had tried most things prior to being put on co-proxamol in the first place. It's so unfair, it is the only thing I can take which means I can still work etc and have a fairly good quality of life.

[i:49b19406f4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:49b19406f4]

• Posted

I have had a smilar experience today and was told that the chemist had none in stock. I was informed some time ago that it wasn't a good thing to suddenly stop taking this drug and I am worried that I may experience withdrawal symptoms. I have been taking Co-proxamol for many years for pain in my feet, hands, back etc. This is the drug that enables me to actually be able to do gardening etc. I am 66years old and so far of sound mind....I wonder if the fact that a venerable person i.e. Dr Kelly who took an overdose of co-proxamol and then slit his wrists was the catalyst in this saga.

I would remind the government of the amount of methadone that is doled out willy-nilly for heroin addicts-sometimes in excess of 100mls dosage.

It is a great shame that co=proxamol has been taken off the market and absolutely disgusting that a long-term patient be left in the lurch to cope with a possible withdrawal factor.

[i:2fa74c674a]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:2fa74c674a]

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.