I have no dominant eye

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am neither right-eyed nor left-eyed. I self-administered several of the popular tests for eye dominance, and none of them shows any discernable dominance in my case. At first, I thought I must be special, because of all the monovision discussions talking about the importance, unimportance, or reverse importance of properly treating one's dominant and non-dominant eyes.

But apparently I am not that special. A 1929 study found that 17% of 172 test subjects showed either no dominance or inconsistent dominance. Neither I nor Google's AI were able to find a better number, and it's not the sort of thing I would expect to change much in 95 years, so I'm going with the 17%.

If you have no dominant eye, it's ok. You are not alone!

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Edited

From a cataract surgery point of view I suspect this is not a problem, and perhaps even an advantage with mini-monovision. Your eyes should be more free to select the best image from the two eyes to give you good vision. I think to a large degree successful use of monovision depends on the brain's ability to select and use the best image available while rejecting poor quality images.

Having a hard dominant eye may be an advantage for some sports that require aiming consistently. I am right handed but left eye dominant and I have decided that impacts my ability to shoot accurately with a shotgun. Normal practice with a shotgun is to shoot with both eyes open, and if your dominant eye is not aligned with the barrel you end up kind of cross firing. For that reason I close my left eye when using a shotgun. When using a scope on a rifle it does not may any difference as you only open the scope eye, and it obviously is precisely aligned with the barrel. Now after cataract surgery my distance eye is the right one, and that should encourage my brain to use it like a dominant eye, but I am not sure that happens. I have not used a shotgun since surgery so no practical experience to see what impact it has had.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.