I lashed out at my daughter, 12, and feel crippled with remorse.

Posted , 4 users are following.

I lashed out at my daughter, age 12. I hurt her emotionally. I am sick with guilt. I read that emotional damage changes the way young minds develop. I have planted a lasting scar on her.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

All I can suggest is if you feel you are a danger to anyone you need to talk to your GP and explain what happened. You seem to have had a shock at what happened and hopefully you will not do it again

If you have marked Her you may feel different.  At sometime in life we do something we all regret, we learn from these and become a better person.

If you are so worried it will happen again, talk to your GP

BOB

• Posted

Thank you. I am not a physical danger. I am emotionally volatile, so sometimes, my emotional reactions to her stress are inappropirate. I have been in CBT/DBT therapy, so I know how to match the appropriate emotional reaction to the issue. I don't always manage it, but more than half the time I do, and I struggle always to be better. My daughter has a therapist, her advoccate, and I have a psychiatrist for meds and a trauma therapist for my issues.

• Posted

If you tell a GP you'll be referred to social services.

• Posted

Thank you. I'm beyond that at this point - my daughter has a lovely therapist she has seen for several years.They are very close and the therapist is her advocate. I have a psychiatrist for medication management for my bipolar disorder and therapy for trauma. I have made our home transparent. What I'm struggling with now, is the horrible feeling that I have damaged my child emotionally. I don't have physical aggression, just a lot of stress that I have, at times, taken out on her. I need help processing the guilt, which I most certainly deserve. But if it cripples me, of what use is it?

• Posted

I also have bipolar disorder btw. And trust me the last thing you'd need is social workers involved on top of everything else.

• Posted

Thank you. That was my impression. They didn't seem to know what they were dealing with. I think they're used to far graver, much more basic circumstances of physical and sexual abuse. Bipolar is different - it's an emotional disorder, that, like depression, can be very damaging for sure, and seems to require more nuanced care. I think my daughter and I have that. I just can't seem to cope with guilt and remorse at all. I just floors me. And that's not normal. And I don't really know anyone personally who is, like me, a bipolar mother. 

• Posted

I am a bipolar mother and let me tell you it is hard to deal with.. my 11 year old likes to push buttons and see what she can get away with.. she is adhd and possibly high functioning autistic there are times i lash out emotionally and it kills me cause she constantly says we dont love her and we hate her. She will do things a 2 year old would di like mix pancake batter and take it to her room and throw it all over.. it just doesnt make sense to me why she does this.. just know she knows u love her and youre stressed

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.