I'm an American Veteran on limited income.

Posted , 1 user is following.

I'm very happy with the results of my VA doctor from three years ago. Dr. Yokan of the VA medical center in Boise, ID. I obtained a copy of my medical record for this treatment. Collagenase injection, Xiaflex and pinky manipulation into full extension two days later. Dr. Yokan is (or was) an orthopedic surgeon. Since I will have this disease until death, it now has to be managed and controlled on a regular basis.

I can only now use the VA healthcare system or a Medicaid provider to deal with this DC. I can say now with all the online studying I've been doing, Viaflex seems like a much safer (for me) bet than hand surgery. Risks of finger amputation, no thanks. Risks of death while under GA, no thanks even more. It is a hand, not a heart, appendix, hernia or a liver. I will ask my healthcare provider about the DC glove you speak of.

Dr. Bond of the Oklahoma City VA medical center even told me yesterday morning that Xiaflex is still a treatment option the VA can provide. He also offered me something like this: Needle Aponeurotomy (NA) or Percutaneous Needle Fasciotomy (PNF). Based upon my experience with Xiaflex already, I like the notion of it the best. The contracture may reoccur during lifetime after treatment and it just may need to be repeated.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.